Door County- Peninsula State Park

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

yondermtn
Old School!

Door County- Peninsula State Park

Post by yondermtn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:13 am

We set out last Wednesday morning for Peninsula State Park. We were able to get 2 sites somewhat last minute, of course, Labor Day weekend was booked solid.

It's about 250 miles to the park and we had an uneventful drive up.

Park was fairly quiet when we arrived.

Our first site in the Welcker's campground. This campground is shady and quieter than the others.

Pancakes!

Our 2nd site was in the Nicolet campground and was a waterfront site.

Nicolet is a bit busier, but still very quiet and the water is just steps away.

Trail leading to site from water

Went into Fish Creek for dinner out.

We could have tried for one of the few non-reservable sites for the weekend, but we decided to stay at my uncle's cabin in Ephraim.

Wish we could have camped a bit longer. The weather was fantastic. We made great time on the way home only stopping once. On our final leg home from I94 to our home we had a brake issue with the driver's rear locking up. I still haven't been able to look it over, but probably the hose. I have replacements on hand so that will be my next project.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Door County- Peninsula State Park

Post by sped372 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 am

Nice photos and thanks for sharing! We like Welcker's if you can't get one of the better sites in Nicolet Bay. Glad you had a pleasant time.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

yondermtn
Old School!

Re: Door County- Peninsula State Park

Post by yondermtn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks.

There are a few really nice sites in Welcker's. Sites 544-552 looked really good. We were in 516 or 517, I forget. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/peni ... rscamp.pdf

I think we're going to reserve one of the Nicolet waterfront sites for next summer, same week. Late August and early September are great up there. Kids are back in school and the water is still warm. We're generally late planners, but hoping to change that.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto