Lake Superior Circle Tour 2012

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Lake Superior Circle Tour 2012

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Ok, it’s the German Family and Friends Lake Superior Circle Tour Part Two; this time it’s Counter Clockwise.

We leave this Friday and all that I have to do is to once-over the valve lash, replace the leaky distributor O-ring with a new one, set the timing, and pray that the transmission likes it’s new position in the car and will hold Reverse for the next week and a half. This weekend I rotated the tires, fixed the poptop headliner, hooked up the heater controls (if it rains, sometimes I need defrost), replaced the broken closet door handle that annoyed Keriann, and the usual wash/wax/vacuum. Oh, I also replaced the original water tank with a 5-gallon old soda stainless steel keg. It’s the kind that we use for homebrewing. With some modification to cabinet, I can fit a water keg and a homebrew keg in the spot where the spare tire goes in the late Westy sink cabinet. I’ll offer a compete write-up later, but beer goes through an insulated line to the icebox where it gets cold and then to a 3-way ball valve at the sink. Turn the handle one way and water comes out, turn it the other and you have cup of good beer; all through stock faucet. I’ll provide proper photos and details when I get some time but know that the whole set-up looks very stock and unmodified (until you look closer).

Back to the trip, we leave Friday afternoon and cut through Wisco. We’re traveling with two other Belle Plaine families: the Elliots in a very clean 1980 Dodge C-Class and the Behnkes in a 84 Westy. We are staying the first night somewhere North of Wausau at Elliot’s parent’s cabin/land. Then we’re clipping the North shore of Lake Michigan along the Southern edge of the UP into Sault Ste. Marie. We’ve all agreed to mosey along the North shore of Superior because that is such as beautiful ride. If you ever take this trip be sure to spend a night at the Rainbow Falls Provincial Park in Rossport, ON. The campground is right on the lake in bay.

I should make a quick mention that this is the same vacation that we took only weeks before Emma got sick, so actually this time around its Counter Clockwise AND a VICTORY LAP! Emma, btw, is doing great. She goes in this week for her 3rd quarterly post-treatment checkup. She’s healthy and happy. And now she can ride a bike without training wheels, so you know, she’s a regular kid once more.

It’s Monday and we don’t leave until Friday. I sure hope that this week goes fast! Here’s some pix from 2010.

1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Lake Superior Circle Tour 2012

Post by whc03grady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Go Spider-Man go!

My family is doing this some year.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Good luck, it's gonna be a long week leading up to it! I find the days dragging as a bus trip approaches. Looking forward to the photos when you're back (and the writeup on the beer dispenser)!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 am

Great to hear all the positive news, Chris!

Safe travels to all of you! Looking forward to pics and the trip report when you get back.

Tom
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:24 am

Gnarley trip! I'm so glad to hear Emma is doing well. After you left, I felt terrible I didn't ask when you were here.
(And thanks again for the beer!)

Looks like you are going through Door County. We love it there but never have taken the Bus up that way.
Good road, Chris.

Rob

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:08 am

Hippie wrote:Looks like you are going through Door County. We love it there but never have taken the Bus up that way.
Good road, Chris.
His map doesn't show them going out on the peninsula, but we'll be there in a couple weeks!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 am

sped372 wrote:
Hippie wrote:Looks like you are going through Door County. We love it there but never have taken the Bus up that way.
Good road, Chris.
His map doesn't show them going out on the peninsula, but we'll be there in a couple weeks!
So many places to take a bus and so little time!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Have fun! We'll be heading out to the Cascades tomorrow for a few days. Man I love summertime.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:04 am

Belle, Turk and I wondered how you even fit into a bus...

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Haha! Wilt Chamberlain has it worse.