Put your Camping tips here

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

PDXpaulie
Getting Hooked!

Post by PDXpaulie » Fri May 11, 2007 10:44 am

77_Bus_Girl wrote:I keep any cans and snacky foods in the cabinet above the z-bed.
I put a '79 Westy interior into my '72 a couple of years back. No headbanger, though ('79 had the flat roof. '72 is roundy). We do 2 coolers: one cold w/ice, one dry foods w/o ice.
spiffy wrote: And I KNOW most westy owners I know end up using their cooler as a liquor cabinet....
We stuff our westy-fridge/waste of space full of those small bottles of water. They're within reach of a rear-seat passenger on drives and the fridge insulation keeps them cool. We don't run the fridge. I didn't think the older ALT would be able to keep it powered.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri May 11, 2007 12:55 pm

hambone wrote:I'm the same way, less is more. Just bring plenty of green and plenty of suds. Zen camping. Every time I go with others, it's always funny to sit and have a beer while they set up for the next couple hours! (you know who you are, guilt implied)
My wife is from the "more is more" camp. I always threaten to put wheels under the house and drag it with us.
so true. man, pull the bed out, throw some sheets on it, go play in the creek.

we ought to get some IAC PDX camping in this season.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri May 11, 2007 12:58 pm

oh, sorry you other guys, but maybe interesting to PDXers, there's a film out, "Old Joy" made last year, starring will oldham and shot in portland and in the woods out around bagby hot springs (and they go to bagby too). it was a trip watching all the places i camp regularly in a movie. i couldn't stop myself from pointing out that they kept driving the wrong way for where they were going.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri May 11, 2007 2:02 pm

we ought to get some IAC PDX camping in this season.
I'm always game! Just went out to the Clackamas last weekend in fact. I tried for a while to "round the troops" for camp trips but it's so hard to get the people I like all on the same page... I think I'm gonna try a more organic approach, mebbe announce when I'm going and whoever shows up is what goes down.
I think part of the trouble is my desire for crazy wilderness camping and most people seem to want more amenities except for a select couple of maniacs.
Also like to find abandoned trails out in the Clacky. Lots of adventures waiting out that way...
Give me a holler if you ever get a free weekend, mebbe we can put somethin together.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:40 pm

hambone wrote:I'm the same way, less is more. Just bring plenty of green and plenty of suds. Zen camping. Every time I go with others, it's always funny to sit and have a beer while they set up for the next couple hours! (you know who you are, guilt implied)
How dare you! :geek: Actually, I get on my own nerves with that sometimes. At least I'm one of the ones that likes some good ol' back country campin.

My tip....For those that like to dig around in the cabinets after dark for that perfect munchie these work great. It's like the magic light that comes on in the fridge. :joker:

https://www.quikbrite.com/
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Sat May 12, 2007 7:01 pm

How do they work? Do they have some sort of mercury switch and a timer?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat May 12, 2007 7:30 pm

static wrote:How do they work? Do they have some sort of mercury switch and a timer?
They're magnetic switch activated. You mount the light in the cabinet and a small magnet on the door to move the switch. They don't look very bright here but at night they light up the cabinets well.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Sat May 12, 2007 7:34 pm

What type of batteries do they take? (and how long do they last?) they look useful!
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat May 12, 2007 7:48 pm

77_Bus_Girl wrote:What type of batteries do they take? (and how long do they last?) they look useful!
They use three of these button cell batteries. Being LED's and only on when the door is open I'm guessing that they are going to last quite awhile.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Sat May 12, 2007 7:59 pm

cool - thanks!
Love your bus.

77 Westy

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sat May 12, 2007 9:37 pm

My wife is from the "more is more" camp. I always threaten to put wheels under the house and drag it with us.
You talkin' to me? I'm not THAT bad, am I Bob? I tend to go with the slow...progressive set up method...get a beer open on my oh-so-handy mounted opener, get the top up, that alone requires enough energy to open another beer, move stuff out of the way so I can get to the rest of my beer, set up the awning if weather looks iffy, drink a beer, put the wood I brought by the fire, put the cooler in a very handy location, then think about the rest over a beer :drunken: Somewhere in there is a zen walk with Bob admiring our choice of camping locations and wondering why my bus runs so loud :cheers:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat May 12, 2007 10:38 pm

deschutestrout wrote:
You talkin' to me? I'm not THAT bad, am I Bob? I tend to go with the slow...progressive set up method...get a beer open on my oh-so-handy mounted opener, get the top up, that alone requires enough energy to open another beer, move stuff out of the way so I can get to the rest of my beer, set up the awning if weather looks iffy, drink a beer, put the wood I brought by the fire, put the cooler in a very handy location, then think about the rest over a beer :drunken: Somewhere in there is a zen walk with Bob admiring our choice of camping locations and wondering why my bus runs so loud :cheers:
After all that, you should have a beer. :drinkers:
I'll join you.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon May 14, 2007 8:08 am

My my you sure are a guilty bunch!
I always have a great trip with you guilties anyway. Love that wilderness stuff!
It's glorious out there, we should plan another trip really soon. Maybe somewhere around Salmon Huckleberry? It's pretty remote around the south end, most of the goons hang around US26 area. When I get th' gumption I'll start a thread in the appropriate place.
Hey Jasan how goes your endevors? When will you be blessed with bus again?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Mon May 14, 2007 8:20 am

hambone, hell yeah. i get my w/es filled up pretty quick, but i'd always rather be camping, the more remote and weird, the better. if the bus can make it there, it's on. def. post as soon as you get the gumption and i'll try to clear it.

pawesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by pawesty » Mon May 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Westy78 wrote:
static wrote:How do they work? Do they have some sort of mercury switch and a timer?
They're magnetic switch activated. You mount the light in the cabinet and a small magnet on the door to move the switch. They don't look very bright here but at night they light up the cabinets well.

i just ordered some! quite the salesman you are :tongue: