May 2007 Oregon Camping

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed May 23, 2007 7:30 am

Okay, now I need the kid having a complete meltdown in public emoticon.

Wilson....*sniff sniff*
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Wed May 23, 2007 8:36 am

yeah, i'm still in, but i won't be leaving portland till (sadly) sat aft or maybe even sunday morning. fucking work. wtf.

anyway, let's nail down a CB channel JIC. those things have like a 1/2 mile range, but it's so rare i get to break mine out. gypsie, what channel do you like?

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed May 23, 2007 8:50 am

Westy78 wrote:Possibly because of road wash outs. I know last year the main route into Harriet Lk was closed due to this.
And the year before last as well.

Stephan, remember when you got "lost" coming to that lake last summer?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed May 23, 2007 2:49 pm

No, take 4610 the whole way.

Directions:

OR224 East to Estacada

Pass thru Estacada, stay on 224 for 6.5 miles.

Opposite Promontory Park, turn left at a sign for Silver Fox RV Park, then veer left almost immediately on Forest Service 4610.

Stay on this mostly gravel road for 18.4 miles. Keep an eye out for 4610 signs but don't count on it...you can also go by your odometer. Fork left at 7.1 miles, turn right at 8 miles, and fork left at 17 miles. But if you follow the map it should be pretty obvious.

The camp spot will either be Squaw Lakes or Twin Springs. The road goes right by the lakes so you'll know yer in the zone of hijinx.

Maybe I'll leave Saturday too, but I like to get out the door pretty early. We'll see what goes down.

Gonna be fun!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed May 23, 2007 3:49 pm

i was not lost!!!! i was taking the scenic route.
Why Channel 12 of course (Wink to Wayne).
i'll Power up
When I get there on the half hour. okay let's all circumsize our Watches (not to iAC time though, It seems to be 4:20 here quite often.
Spiff i'll bring some mGD or pBR and toast one for you.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:40 pm

hambone wrote:No, take 4610 the whole way.

Directions:

OR224 East to Estacada

Pass thru Estacada, stay on 224 for 6.5 miles.

Opposite Promontory Park, turn left at a sign for Silver Fox RV Park, then veer left almost immediately on Forest Service 4610.

Stay on this mostly gravel road for 18.4 miles. Keep an eye out for 4610 signs but don't count on it...you can also go by your odometer. Fork left at 7.1 miles, turn right at 8 miles, and fork left at 17 miles. But if you follow the map it should be pretty obvious.

The camp spot will either be Squaw Lakes or Twin Springs. The road goes right by the lakes so you'll know yer in the zone of hijinx.

Maybe I'll leave Saturday too, but I like to get out the door pretty early. We'll see what goes down.

Gonna be fun!
OK now I know where we're going to be. Been up in that area a few times but not that far in. I'm good to go either Friday afternoon (any time after 4:00 or so) or early Saturday morning. Whatever works the best for ya.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed May 23, 2007 5:14 pm

If you guys leave on Sat AM I'll be there.. anytime anyplace... but I'm sure I can find it if you want to leave on Friday. Hal.. are you going to be there?
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed May 23, 2007 7:02 pm

First off ~ Sorry for the "Breaker-Breaker" thread check, but I love to read about you PNW folks having such a strong network of camping souls and think it grand. But have to ask about "Hal" is this a joke or is it one of youse? Every time I see the name I think of ~well you know~ Barb

Gotta ask, because Im in your State of "Mind" did you see DjEeps' post about meeting some of you on the way thru?

And for Emily,s Margaret, got a good lead on a tear-drop that needs to be moved and alota Love for cheap :flower: Darn Im such a collector but could see me pulling it behind Jake next year.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed May 23, 2007 7:14 pm

IFBwax wrote: Hal.. are you going to be there?
Nope, can't make it. Gotta work Saturday and part of Sunday.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed May 23, 2007 7:33 pm

10-4 no disrespect intended
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed May 23, 2007 8:49 pm

Gypsie yer route works too, just more complicated. I think it's about the same distance tho.
Erin is not sure if she wants to get stuck in the woods with a bunch of guys so she's still undecided.
I'd really rather leave Friday nite but I also gotta keep peace in the family....but the bus is pretty much loaded and ready to roll. Just like me. I even cleaned 38 years of filth off the icebox, pulled out the carpets and scrubbed the floor underneath. Nastola. Vacuumed the hell out of everything, I got the spring itch.
Bring yer fishing poles, if we make it all the way to Squaw there's fish in dere. Also bring a small pack with th' wilderness essentials so we can do a little hiking if yer so inclined. I'm really excited about following that trail all the way down to the Roaring River, don't think anyone's been down there in many years.
It's cool how we've been able to coordinate all this thru the internet. This has been a good tool.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu May 24, 2007 7:33 am

Gypsie wrote:i was not lost!!!! i was taking the scenic route.
Why Channel 12 of course (Wink to Wayne).
i'll Power up
When I get there on the half hour. okay let's all circumsize our Watches (not to iAC time though, It seems to be 4:20 here quite often.
Spiff i'll bring some mGD or pBR and toast one for you.
Thanks! If you can find some Strohs that would make my day :geek:

We will be up at the Westies Camano Island Campout the first weekend in June though in case any of yous are headed up this way give me a holla.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu May 24, 2007 8:19 am

Not me I'll be taking wilderness first aid training.
I think I prefer solo or small group camping anyway, those big events are too much for me. I'll make an exception for the Deschutes tho.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 am

Pinpoint forecast for the area, at 4500'. We should be a tad warmer but not too much, bring warm clothes for the nite.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. East southeast wind 7 to 10 mph becoming northwest.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 38. West wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. West northwest wind between 9 and 11 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Memorial Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 58.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Thu May 24, 2007 10:04 am

cleaned up and got the bed in the bus last night. i have a bunch of real nice firewood that i picked up disc golfing at rooster rock one day that i'll bring. lots of pabst. LOTS of pabst.

channel 12 it is.