IAC Customer Greetings from Sandpoint, ID

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

IAC Customer Greetings from Sandpoint, ID

Post by glasseye » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:16 am

For three months I tracked his Itinerary across the continent as I busied myself cleaning engine bits, painting tin, reading Bentley, even polishing paint :bounce: as I impatiently awaited his arrival and the prospect of my engine's sweet music.

But it was not to be. Amskeptic, the well-known international security risk, was denied entry into Canada, thus delaying the immediate resurrection of my '74 from its thirty year sleep.

Snif.

After two hits from this years harvest and a long walk along the river, I decided that, no matter what, even more important than hearing my engine run once more, I just had to meet the man that had spread so much good in his world in general and the Volkswagen world in particular. So, three or four PMs later, Colin agreed to delay his departure and we arranged to meet in a Starbucks an hour or so south of the border.

I was not disappointed. Colin and his bus exceeded all expectations. Following a two or three hour instructional session both theoretical and practical that left my head swimming with details too intricate to relate, we cleaned our hands, opened a Diet Coke and commenced to bullshit. This was at about 2:00PM.

By 5:00 PM, we were still standing there in the parking lot, leaning on other people's vehicles, feet sore, brains tired. We'd solved most of the problems of the world and it was nearing half past five before we finally hugged and went our separate ways, Colin eastward to Missouri and me northward back to British Columbia.

In all, a most satisfactory conclusion to the summer's biggest disappointment. Thanks again, Colin. And godspeed.

[albumimg]1298[/albumimg]
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:42 am

I have one regret from my half-day afternoon session with Colin in June, and that was too much time spent on the problems of my Westy, without enough time at the end to spend on the problems of the world!

I hope that opportunity presents itself, perhaps during Colin's return trip east.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:19 am

I enjoyed our little practicum and philosophy in the hospital parking lot.
Meanwhile, here's an Idaho elk, poor thing languishing behind a fence:

I was whining a bit too much about the brief rain shower and lack of warmth, but don't worry, I was suitably punished in Montana with a nippy rainy early morning temperature of 39* as I hunted for coffee. The starry sky the night before was a real treat, however. After six deer sightings and one road traversing galloping black bear, I decided to camp in a turnout before I hit somebody in the darkness. The Big Dipper Ursula Major Whatever was surrounded by so many other little stars that it was almost lost amongst them, now that I've not seen. Atmosphere must be thinner here than in the southwest desert.

Somewhere in the filoshofizing we shared (cascades of words that always leave me feeling like "Too Much Talk, Too Little Action"), there is this little kernel that is barely maybe sprouting. . . . a kernel that says "go forth in the darkness of that which you do not understand, there is much yet to be illuminated." WELL ??? I'm WAITING. . . . . . .
Meanwhile, here's a Mercedes Diesel Sprinter here at Starbucks.
The owner was non-plussed when a couple came up and asked, "who owns that beautiful camper?" She replied, "I am." "Are you from New York?" "No, I am from Vermont." "Oh, we are asking about that Volkswagen camper van with the New York plates."
Colin
(hee hee, didn't even bother to slam their faces against the plate glass window "are you blind?? are you blind?? that is a 7-passenger BUS, you idiots."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 am

It was a most excellent day. My wife Dorothy was the primary instigator (along with the stimulants) and she was delighted with my report. We look forward to hosting you, rather than visiting in a parking lot.

I nearly choked when I came upon the Sprinter/VW two-shot. :cheers: Very thoughtful; the concept, the positioning and the imaging. You actually do stop and make the pictures happen. I thank you and your camera thanks you.

As for "Ursula" Major :geek: , it was here in Creston that I discovered that the Milky Way actually bifurcates, right over my house. :drunken: I've seen it since elsewhere on the planet, but I discovered the fact in my back yard. In winter, the air here is so clear your eyes hurt.

Keep us posted as you vault once more across the continent.

And yes, my exhaust valve clearance sticker specifies .008".

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Somewhere in the filoshofizing we shared (cascades of words that always leave me feeling like "Too Much Talk, Too Little Action"), there is this little kernel that is barely maybe sprouting. . . . a kernel that says "go forth in the darkness of that which you do not understand, there is much yet to be illuminated." WELL ??? I'm WAITING. . . . . . .
"
Just as the journey is frequently the destination, so waiting is often the answer.

And Glasseye, if you want help with your bus sometime, let me know. I do get up to Rossland/Castlegar on occassion, if that is anywhere near where you are. I have also ridden my bike on the 'Golden Triangle' and the Nelson- Slocan-New Denver-Ainsworth-Nelson loop, so I am familiar with some of BC. Lower part, anyway.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Half of the enjoyment from an IAC visit, well for me anyway, is the non judgemental conversation with Colin. Even when we have different points of views on a subject, it never turns into a debate. That is a very refreshing thing...adult conversation.

I hear ya brother! My brain was crazy swinning in info after he left. I do feel bad that I can not retain all of the info he so kindly imparted to me.
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:44 pm

soulful66 wrote:My brain was crazy swinning in info after he left.
Who hasn't been there? I wonder if it's not a bit of job security? Maybe more will stick next year? :-k
One can always hope.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks, satchmo. Your offer of help is much appreciated. I hope to get this bus running before the cold weather returns, if only to reclaim a little garage space :colors: Thanks to Colin's instructions and hints, I think I'll be able to get the engine back in and fired up soon.

Creston is about halfway between Trail and Cranbrook, right on the border. That means that the Palouse, one of my favourite places in North America, is right next door. Feel free to visit if you wanna chat bus stuff or just spend a while in Canada ay? If I get it running, I might just drive my bus down to your turf in time for the spring planting. If I get it running. :cyclopsani:

At least I'm not as scairt as I was a while ago. Lack of knowledge is a big roadblock for my confidence, whatever the task. I spent an hour out in the shop with the bus this afternoon, just thinking.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:22 pm

I don't think I have ever seen Colin with pants on...I mean full pants and not shorts. I figured he wore the tank top and cut offs no matter the clime. I had a roomate once who refused to wear a coat, said cold was a state of mind.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:34 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I don't think I have ever seen Colin with pants on...I mean full pants and not shorts. I figured he wore the tank top and cut offs no matter the clime. I had a roommate once who refused to wear a coat, said cold was a state of mind.
Strangely enough, I actually dress to the weather.
When I work out in the 90-100* heat for 10 hours +, I like to keep as well ventilated as legally appropriate.

When it is cool and chilly, I wear jeans and a shirt and even a sweatshirt with a hood for my bald pate.

When it is icy and gales ablowin' at -6* in the middle of the night trying to help my neighbor's daughter's boyfriend get unstuck out of the snowbank
"if I don't get out of here before her mom comes home, I'm so like toast", I will even wear a jacket and boots and gloves.

I find that many people overdress in the heat, sometimes it is personal shame, sometimes it is striving to remain inside the current fashion, sometimes it is because they only know heat during brief forays from house-to-car-to-office air-conditioning.

I love the heat because I get to remain comfortable in my tatty homeless waif outfit. If I had to wear that damn HVAC red cap and red full shirt and black slacks uniform all summer like I used to, I'd hate the heat.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles