Colin's visit to Maupin, Oregon

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Colin's visit to Maupin, Oregon

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Well, yesterday I once again had the pleasure of spending a full day with Colin. As expected, it was highly productive and educational.

We reviewed my extensive list of to-do's, then got to work.

We started with the '78 Westy aka The Happy Camper :drunken: . We reviewed function of fuel injection components, vacuum hoses, etc. Then a big project. We pulled the left exhaust manifold which was missing a stud (which I knew about) and had a couple more in the process of stripping (PO overtightened the heck out of it likely). Whalah...the source of leak is discovered...the PO or exhaust man didn't put a copper gasket on number 3! Colin retapped a couple of stud holes, got the 8x9 step studs I had on hand to bite, refitted the manifold and I once again have an engine that purrs :cheers: . Sorry gang, you'll no longer have the advance warning when I'm pulling into camp :blackeye: Stealth all the way baby!

Next, we double checked my dwell and timing...they were good. Then dialed in the AFM and mixture. Felt great to hear the Westy sounding like he should.

We then switched our attention to Clementine, my '71 beetle. I learned how to repack front wheel bearings...we bled and adjusted the brakes to try to get rid of some pedal free-play, adjusted the E-brake, and adjusted the steering box....oh, and greased the gear shift. 'Ole Clem got a good once over.

Now on to Gus, the '78 sunroof bay. Ever since I replaced a wheel cylinder I lost my E-brake. So...removed the drum to find I had mucked up the re-assembly :bounce: . Fixed it.

Finally a quickie lesson on how to clean up and reboot a drive axle. I probably left a few small things out...my head was spinning amuck at this point.

Thanks again Colin, always great to see you! And yes, engine tin screws and a new flange gasket are already on the way from my favorite PDX supplier...Discount Import Parts....I'll have 'em tomorrow. Oh, I ended up with your extension still attached to my torque wrench...ooooops!

Hope to see you in Maupin next June! Later, Mark
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Colin's visit to Maupin, Oregon

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:23 am

deschutestrout wrote: Clementine, my '71 beetle.
we bled and adjusted the brakes to try to get rid of some pedal free-play, adjusted the E-brake, and adjusted the steering box....oh, and greased the gear shift. 'Ole Clem got a good once over.
Operative word > to try > to get rid of the excessive pedal travel.
I am still mystified by that long throw. Please see if you can get the replacement part # that was actually installed and compare it to the original part #. Also, if you have had replacement wheel cylinders installed at any point, please do the same thing. Your master cylinder is designed to push a very specific volume of fluid. If the wheel cylinders are larger than original, you will have huge pedal travel. If the master cylinder bore diameter is smaller than original, you will have huge pedal travel. Your bug is a joy of a car, I would love to see the brake pedal back to OEM short serious feel.
deschutestrout wrote: Now on to Gus, the '78 sunroof bay. Ever since I replaced a wheel cylinder I lost my E-brake. So...removed the drum to find I had mucked up the re-assembly :bounce: . Fixed it.
Had an opportunity to check hubcap temps?
deschutestrout wrote: engine tin screws and a new flange gasket are already on the way from my favorite PDX supplier...
Did I mention yet, that you have some missing engine tin screws? :joker:
Please file some more the flanges if you have a skinny enough file to fit up there. The bolt hole areas really need it, the areas between the bolt holes do not. If it is a nice thick sandwich gasket, you'll be OK. If it is the same skinny gasket we put in there, it may not seal well.
deschutestrout wrote: I ended up with your extension still attached to my torque wrench...ooooops!
Arrrrrrgh, I must be more diligent! I will come up with a forwarding address for you. When the Pony Express comes galloping through, throw it to the driver.

I went for a little run up the hill from you on my way to Portland, I was swarmed by a whole squadron of mosquitoes at maximum distance out from my bus parked at 197/216 intersection. Man. . . I was bitten in places no mosquito belongs. Where did they come from? My prior night's campsite on the other side of your gulch was beautifully bug free.
Enjoyed my day with you in that beautiful spot, sorry I didn't stay and hang at the cafe with you and the gang of bio-fuel Jetta travellers.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles