June 1st, 2007 I'm on the road

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote:My prayers are with the spirit of Elwood as he pluckily tackles the road ahead. I am sure Elwood is happy to trundle about the planet given plenty of time a spritz of oil and a dash of love.
Colin
Thank you so much for that Colin, It really means alot to me and is point on~but what else do you do for us bus addicts? A~ plenty! Wish you were here to see the beautifull rainbow over "Navin" and "Jerrie Lou" driving up the Oregon highway to a new beggining. So very many photo ops and many have been taken by me and others. Will take a few days to get into a groove of posting pictures, but sure DjEep has that down and will do what he does best and that is a 10-4 .

This is my day 5 of travel and now in Salem,Oregon in a hotel room, would have loved to stay in camp ground but my carabus folks have really important connection to keep and we will regroup tommorrow in Portland.

Elwood is still running strong on flat roads and of coarse down hill, but the long uphills bog him down to 2nd gear. Be really glad to cross the border and take a slower pace. The sceanery has been awsome.
even when I arrived after 10 pm last night in the OMG redwoods With driving rain most of the way and horrific acedents to pass by, lost and confussed I was determined to find my road mates, and I did :cheers: They were there to meet and greet me and show me where to park. Can,t say enough about these two =D> Moved tons of "needed" stuff around and put what the rain would not harm out of the bus. I fit just fine to get a good first night sleep in my Elwood. Will fill in some funny "blanks" in the am or latter. Feeling tired, but strong about this trip.
Did I tell you Im only 50 sum miles from PORTLAND,OREGON

Barb/Elwood :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

max_wg
I'm New!

Wow

Post by max_wg » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:01 am

You guys are cruising,

You will be in Bellingham by Friday, easily. I was thinking that if you three want to visit Vancouver, that would be good to do on Friday and Saturday. I can meet you in Abbotsford, Highway 1, in Canada, Sunday morning. How does that sound?

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:10 am

max-wg, sounds good to me :cheers: Im going to be looking at maps in a bit to find a campgrond to head for tonight or early tommorrow in Portland area and then Washington before the crossing. DjEep will be getting on here at sometime to give us all a report of his plan and where abouts. He asked me about you yesterday and I did not know. He is front man for this trip so its all good :flower:

Barb/Elwood
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:47 am

What's your route plan though Vancouver? If it works out, I'd love to meet up with you guys too. I'm right in Vancouver, near where the highway crosses over Burrand Inlet (the 2nd Narrows or Ironworker's Memorial Bridge)
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi Bus Girl, See where your at on map and would be nice to meet ya. So far Ive been keeping up with Jerrie Lou and Navin just getting out of California. No real plan has been put down but that might change after tommorow. Navin (DjEep's bus) was dropped off yesterday and they will continue on in the one bus with their great dog I might get to ride with me sometime. I hope to meet-up with them in Portland tonight or early tommorow. Have some supplies to get (water and guitar strings) hope to see meet some of the folks in that area before heading up. So stay tuned , we are really close and in no hurry at all, at least Im not :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm planning on taking it easy today, we're making good time, put in about 10 road hrs yesterday.

Glad you're comin' max! See you in BC.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:54 pm

Elwood wrote: Elwood is still running strong on flat roads and of course down hill, but the long uphills bog him down to 2nd gear.
Is that because you are taking it easy, or Elwood will not hold 3rd? On hill-pulls like the grapevine, even loaded to the gunwales, he should hold 35-40 in 3rd. A typical cause for low power is a throttle cable that needs adjustment:
Engine off.
Have assistant step on accelerator.
See if throttle is all the way open.
Adjust if necessary.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:30 pm

We are packed to the gills. Geri hasn't needed 2nd on the hiway yet, but she has come close to suggesting it.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:12 pm

DjEep wrote:We are packed to the gills. Geri hasn't needed 2nd on the hiway yet, but she has come close to suggesting it.
So you can do a comparison with Elwood later. If Elwood is having difficulty keeping up, I would immediately pull a plug after a hill climb to see if it is lean (white plug on insulator and ground electrode) which would point to a low fuel level in the carb, a possibly crudded main jet, or a restricted power circuit in the accelerator pump discharge. A roadside carburetor cleaning w/float adjustment makes for a delightful interlude.
Colin
(if it is an 009 distributor, advance can be set to 28+* at 3,200 rpm, if it is a vacuum only distributor, timing can be 0+2* advance. Remember to lean the mixtures a tad and advance the timing a couple of degrees if you are consistently above 5,000 feet elevation)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Gads that does not sound like a "Delightfull Interlude" to me :cyclopsani: It would take me over a hour to find the can of Gum-Out I know is in there someplace, but then again that is how Im becoming a organized Bus pilot. If you need it, you can find it. What I thought would be needed fast or first hasent and what Ive needed took awhile to locate. Should all work out after a few more hundred miles and shorter driving days.

But thanks Colin, the hills were really long and steep, foot to the floor. Not used to driving those kind. If I see them coming I try to get the rpms up and that does help.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:33 pm

If it's those hills on I-5 in Southern Oregon, I'm not surprised and would not blame poor Elwood. I got stuck driving extensive stretches in low gear with a slightly overloaded Toyota motorhome there. Those hills are a nightmare when you're loaded up. Better safe and cool in 2nd than lugging in 3rd. I'm envious about your trip!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:49 pm

hambone wrote:Safe travels! Hope you can keep the updates coming...
Hay Hambone will be in Portland tomorrow June 7th. Any chance of meeting anyone? Got the folk mags with me and a guitar I need to buy strings for. Can you send me a pm before 8am or tonight. Im staying in Salem tonight and will meet up with DjEep tomorrow in Portland. If you can,t meet us, where can I buy the strings (classical)? I also need to store some un-needed things till I come back thru, A screen tent and a back packer one also. I need the room to move around inside when its raining. Help me if you can.

Thanks, Barb/Elwood
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:31 am

Will you all be in Portland tonight (Thurs)? Let us know what's goin on!
I can pick up some strings for ya and would be glad to store yer extra stuff in my garage until you get back.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:39 am

This is awesome to hear from you guys on the road like this.....
Keep it up, you are there for my entertainment right????? Only joking of course....Have fun..

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:49 am

Yes I will be in Portland tonight someplace??? DjEep is travling with his ladies Father and Brother in a fancy VAN. Out of touch with them today as they travel north.

That would be a big help to me I will pm you my cell number, I put it on here last night thinking I was on pm :cyclopsani:

Looks like traffic going into city is all backed up so will leave around noon from my space. Computer will be packed away so let me know where I can meet you and what time is good for you. Ill stay on line till 11am.

I want good strings for my old guitar and will reimburse you.

Thanks, B/E (see Im learning how to minamize) :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood