June 1st, 2007 I'm on the road

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:27 am

Yes, very beautiful pictures =D>

Makes me want to run outside and hop in the bus and just 'go'!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:49 am

[quote="Elwood"]Well that was a unexpected reply. I was certainly not in a contest with any one but myself. May I quote you in my book?

What book? : ) Write on! Quote away.

Thank you for the compliments on the "Shots" coming from you as a pro it was well received. As you do know, your country is vastly beautifull and I found my abilities so very short.

Ever heard the old photography axiom "f8 and be there" ? You nailed it, Barb. "Being there" is half the battle but there are few subjects in photography as difficult or rewarding as landscape. You certainly helped us "stay-at-homes" with the "be there" part. Thanks for your effort.

You're right. I guess it wasn't a contest, but the list certainly dwindled as the goal approached. You deserve a TON of credit for actually pulling it off.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:44 am

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thank you for sharing the pictures, and congratulations on your quest! So glad to hear you made it to the land of midnight sun. On the solstice, I thought of you (and DJ) and raised a beer to the north, hoping you made it. (I was in-between Ft Bragg and Mendocino, enjoying a glorious sunset with my son, who turned 10 that day :-) )

Seeing the Arctic Circle is one of about 3000 things on my to-do-before-I-die list. Damn, I better stay alive for a while...got things to do...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Thanks bretski and thats too cool about your son turning 10 on the solstice like my grandson did. Maybe they will meet up in a vw bus when they get old enough to love and take care of them like we do :flower:

I got one of those list also but a shorter time to check off stuff I want to do. But gotta say this was a biggie. Next trip will be seeing the Atlantic Ocean in a bus. Ive never been east of Dallas,Tx and think it would be fun to try to cross on only small roads. Thats the VW Bus trip. Saling to Fiji won,t count unless I can take Jake or Elwood :pirate: but I don,t count out any possibilites, just might run into someone with a ship going that way to write about. :idea1:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:48 pm

After a month or more of being home I have to say a big thank you to those of you that gave me feed back and advice. It was a wonderfull experiance and who ever advised to use "plastic" was so right on. Sorry I don,t have the special person, but they were right. Wish I would have used it more because of the exchange. At that time it was so very close I found myself using Canadian money for meals and trinkets just because it was FUN :cheers: Not at all sorry because everyone was so kind and beyond nice. I miss that. I live in a tourist town and have always injoyed greeting them. Seems to be a ugly change going on here and on the internet on how to treat people~~ time for a change for me.

Velokid you were so right on about the people I would meet on the Alaskan Hwy ferry, they will be many chapters in my book , and I thank you for that insite. Very very special and some started because of the bus and some not.

Thank you Colin for the coming to check out Elwood two years ago and saying he was worthy of fixing up. He was and Im glad I did .

Do the trip people with or without a leader. It feels sooooo gooood :flower:

B/E :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:59 pm

Elwood wrote: Thank you Colin for the coming to check out Elwood two years ago and saying he was worthy of fixing up. He was and Im glad I did .
Plucky little Elwood has the VW Road Warrior Spirit. I am proud of his accomplishment and yours. May more adventures greet you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:11 pm

Elwood wrote: Velokid you were so right on about the people I would meet on the Alaskan Hwy ferry, they will be many chapters in my book , and I thank you for that insite. Very very special and some started because of the bus and some not.
I'm glad to hear that. The scenery on the Inside Passage is so incredibly awe-inspiring that I think it brings out the best in everyone. We should all be so lucky as to live every moment that inspired. I have this problem that won't allow me to see the beauty in many places, but Alaska was just big enough and grand enough to open my eyes for once. I liked, for once, the person I was when my feet were planted on Alaskan soil, is what it really boils down to for me.