June 1st, 2007 I'm on the road

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

June 1st, 2007 I'm on the road

Post by Elwood » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:45 pm

:cheers: A day later than planned due to total exhaustion and a kitty that did a protest runaway yesterday. She is back and I have over 300 miles under my and Elwood's new tires and lots of weight. Was planning on driving all the way to Bay area tonight after a stop for quick takeout and coffee in Santa Barbara. But after heading inland at Gaviota beach, those that know this coast area know about the strong winds, lots of summer traffic unlike last november, can't say that I blame them, it is beautiful. I timed it to be around that area for sunset. As Elwood was struggling to get up the hill,3rd gear with wind whipping him around but not out of his lane , I get red/blue lighted and up to the bus on both sides come the bright flash lights easy to see inside as my curtains are down and he is loaded to the gills. One officer tries to open my passenger door and I say DON'T you will spill my stuff out (computer, hand bag etc.) I opened it for him after rearranging things. He asked where I was headed and I proudly replied "The Arctic Circle" He then said "M'am have you been drinking?" No, I said just this coffee and vanilla malt I got in Santa Barbara, he then asked if I had any warrants or ever been arrested and I said no and yes-for what?. DUI many years ago. Figure it best to tell the truth but don't think it stays on your record. Anyway he wished me a good trip and followed me 8 more miles to Andersons splitpea place and a Hotel. I've decided to chill in til morning and fix the taillight. Day one ~This is going to be fun :flower: :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

regalasr
Getting Hooked!

Post by regalasr » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:36 pm

So far so good. I will be following your journey.
I got all the baywindow parts

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:17 am

Yes It is so far so good as Elwood feels stronger than I. Your offer to find and ship parts that are needed to keep our quest possible is overwhelming Steve and I will share your email and cell number to those worthy of such a gift of sharing.

My first gas stop was at where the drop-off for parts originaly was to be. It would have been really scary for me at the time. It will be ok in July to meet you for the exchange. Sorry for the promise, but don't like LA type night places.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:41 am

woo hoo! Barb, you're on the road! I'll be following your adventures. I've been pulled over on the same stretch of road for weaving in the wind. Have fun. Onward northward!
71 bus, 74 westy

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:29 am

Good for you Barb!!! I hope you and Elwood have a safe and wonderfull voyage. If you guys are going to have a little get together before you leave the Bay area, please let me know. I would very much like to see you all off on your trip in person. :flower:

I think John Muir said it best at the end of the VW engine sounds tape, so I will borrow it from him.........
"Love and good road"
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:17 am

barb,

Good luck and have a safe trip.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

deadaheadub
I'm New!

Post by deadaheadub » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:44 pm

Awesome, Barb. You're going to have a great time. I wish all the best for all you guys. Sorry I can't do it with you. But I'll be following your adventures as you keep posting.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:03 am

This time tomorrow we'll be hittin' the trail too. Anyone in SF who can should head out to Ocean Beach tonite for a farewell meeting.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:56 pm

A great start! Already go the cops on your trail! I bet it felt good to tell him you're going to the "Arctic Circle", huh? Probably got a glazed over look at that point...

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:38 pm

good on ya, Barb! Honk a little honk when you drive though Vancouver! I'll be thinking about you!
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Jeremy
I'm New!

Post by Jeremy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:23 pm

Good Luck!

Jeremy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:55 am

Thanks for all the well wishes. This now is day three and yesterday found me checking out the tail-light and as expected found it to be impossible to make wrong ~ jerks! don,t even wan,t to go there.

I traveled the next 300 or so miles past fertile central California fields full of produce being planted and picked by hundreds of migrant workers , Thanks to them for making that possible. Lots of happy cows obviously additioning for cheese commercials :flower:

Had a stressfull climb up a grade out of San Luis Obispo was in 2nd gear and far off to the right of the road. Know that I had way too much weight in bus for my 1600 engine to stay happy. Pulled off about 50 miles up the road and let the oil settle down. Looked 1/2 qt low so added it and went on my way determined to make the bay area before dark. I did and went to chinese dinner with my daughter. Disapointed at not the food but NO FORTUNE COOKIE :joker:

Have a small oil leak I think is due to overfill and not worried about anything serious.

Had the pleasure of giving DjEept a ride from his last day of work in San Rafael to his get a way home in SF. Drove by Ocean Beach and saw Sailorkriss's bus but no-body. Had to get back and organize Elwood for early am departure from California.

Lots still getting done and stuff setteling to find its place. Will keep posting when I can. Will take a while to get into the no job place, and just feel the open rroad.

Barb and Elwood
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:17 am

Sorry I missed you guys, I was out walking on the beach when you passed by.
Have a most excellent trip, and when you pass thru on your way home I hope you can stop by and share your memories :cheers:
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:39 am

Safe travels! Hope you can keep the updates coming...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:23 am

My prayers are with the spirit of Elwood as he pluckily tackles the road ahead. I am sure Elwood is happy to trundle about the planet given plenty of time a spritz of oil and a dash of love.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles