San Juan Islands week long tour?

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

San Juan Islands week long tour?

Post by Westy78 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:35 pm

Any local folks interested in a trip to the San Jaun's sometime this summer? I've never been so I'm looking for ideas from you guys to the north. Spiff? What time of year would be the best? Would a week be enough to get a good trip in? Any ideas on the best way to work the ferry system? Any islands not to miss or ones to avoid?
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:45 pm

AHHHHH, glad you brought it up!!!

We won't be able to 'free range' camp (but I think some more research is needed) so the San Juan Island county campgrounds are the next best option....they fill up fast. The best way to deal with the ferry system is to pay the $50 or so to take the hour long ferry ride to Friday Harbor...the furthest point and then we can work our way back east island by island for no additional charge. I think a week could provide a solid vantage and plenty of sniffs...we just need to figure the best way to take advantage of the time. It would work especially well if we could take the ferry out on a saturday morning and take the next week of work off..that way we have a solid 7 days.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:22 pm

Been looking around at the various websites with island info. It looks like many of the county campgrounds have some first come first serve sites and some that you can place reservations for. I don't know how I feel about the reservation thing. I hate being locked down to a schedule like that. What if we find a great site that we want to spend an extra day in but we have that pre-paid reservation for that day? On the other hand not being able to find a campsite might really suck. Do you know if there are any spots on any of the islands that we could sneak in for stealth camping if need be?

Wayne and I were talking about it today and he wants to do it depending on what month we decide on. What month would have the most promising weather up that way? I was thinking sometime in August or maybe early September?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:21 pm

That is a good time frame. Some of the best spots up there are marine camping areas...ie you kayak in and check things out that way. My wife and I have also tossed around the idea of a grand canyon/lake powell trip this summer.....SO MANY PLACES TO GO!!!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:22 am

I vote August, the hottest month. I also vote for free-range camping, crowded summer campgrounds add to the stress. What about the High Cascades up near Canada in Washington? Never been, heard it's splendid.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:53 pm

You may want to check out all the festivals and such going on if you choose August - It can be nightmarish trying to find a place to stay, much less just getting on the ferry. September is a great time to do the trip once the kids are back in school.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:04 am

There's also the Olympics but I'll bet they get nuts around summertime. What about the back door of Mt. Rainier? The Ochocos? Eagle Cap? My my how does one fit it all in????

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:52 am

oooh, ooooh, ooooh! (note hand up and waving) PICK ME, PICK ME..

I love the San Juans. Island hopping is a great time and fairly cheap and easy. I have friends that live and own property on Lopez Island (my favorite and most visited Island). Great little stinkfoot community among the traditional agricultural folk.
I went to a Mayday wedding there that was one of the most beautiful, pagan like events that I have ever been to. Maypole, contra dancing, suckling pig on an open pit.

Being in the rain-shadow of the Olympics there are quite a few Sunny days.

Mid September is a juggle fest at Hummell house on Hummel Lake.

I reccommend a recon mission to explore options.

On Lopez there is a campground called Odlin park on the north end. Camping pretty much right on the Beach and an overflow area with quite a bit of space. Plenty of room and bicycling distance to the village (they call the downtown the village). I have always been able to secure a spot there (It seems that it isn't on the "popular" list).

If this is really a plan that goes someplace I might be able to secure a location on private property with good folk, though Odlin has the best views of the water and the ferries passing by in the night are not to be missed. I can't say enough about this place and now that I think about it I am telling the world about a hidden gem.

forget what I said.

(waving hand) "These aren't the droids we're looking for. Move along"
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:58 am

I am ALL for bowing to someone else's experience and guidance! I just don't want major hassle on a trip for peace.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:26 pm

hambone wrote:I am ALL for bowing to someone else's experience and guidance! I just don't want major hassle on a trip for peace.
Ditto!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:10 pm

I'll call Renee (the camp host) and get a feel for this next summer.

I do prefer the Campground over the private party though an excursion will probly be in order.

Any particular dates preferrable. Jasan, will you be doing the Arctic Circle run?

I heard something about the hottest time not being preferrable. Even in the blazing summer the temps are very comfortable. The drag is that weather is the weather.
Of the 15+ trips I have made there, I have been rained out once.

3 days on San Juan Island with a steady rain and a leaky tent.

I made lemonade out of it though, because I bought my Van within a month of returning. Now the tent is our "storage shed" and I have found a cool group of freaks to hang with.
FYI- to me Freak is the highest form of compliment.

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:12 pm

Summertime! I can taste it..... :cheers:

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Gypsie wrote:
Any particular dates preferrable. Jasan, will you be doing the Arctic Circle run?
I'd vote for doing it after the kids are back in school. Might be a little less crowded by then. When is that? First week of September? Weather should still be good I would think. I will be doing the Arctic Circle thing if all goes according to plans but that's in June.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:35 pm

agreed on the back to school timing but my experience has led me to see that Lopez is really a "Missed Opportunity"by the RV/family camping set.crowds and Odlin even more so so I haven't been crowded out yet.
That said, I still like being there for Juggle fest (the three tiered naked pyramid fire juggling is sometihing you will not soon forget.)

That is in mid September. (This is even more advanced planned than Waynes trips).

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:32 pm

Allright ya hosers. I'm bringing this back to the top. I'll be picking my vacation weeks tomorrow. It looks like the first week in September is still open. What'ya all say? Weather should still be nice by then.