IAC Arroyo Seco campout: Friday after Thanksgiving

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Takes all kinds

Post by Gypsie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:47 pm

Sounds like a fun trip. Showers'r nice. Not having to consider whether you should bring a chainsaw with you so you don't get blocked in is nice too. Though both have their place and if there are a few Dub-o-philes around all the better. Crack a cold one and belch in a northerly direction in honor of your PNW Weenie brethren.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:41 am

:cya:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:10 pm

Im very happy to report after tring to get out of LA on wednsday ( a really stupid plan) and packing and unpacking tring to make up my mind if this was a good time to make a shake-down? Well it was but is a success :cheers: Elwood and I are now parked on the SF bay after driving thru driving rain and leaving my daughter and her exployer in a hotel in Greenfield to catch some ZZZ's before driving home. Elwood did have some grimlins I will have to get sorted out but he absolutly loved doing 65-70. And I will let the others fill in about our adventure at camp ground, got sorta spooky :alien: Learned lots from Static and Anthony and his Belle in Geri. It was a great time and a real pleasure to meet you folks.

Will fill in my end of trip report next week after I get back to my space.

The Arctic trip is a sure thing to me :flower:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:00 am

Good idea w/ the hotel :drunken: . We took that county road back through Carmel. It was an incredible drive, and we saw an incredible number of buses. Maybe a quarter mile off Arroyo Seco Rd. lived a bug, a bay and a split. At one house in Monterey there were 4 splitties: a singlecab, two factory hightops and a kombi.

We stopped at a State Beach in Monterey to cook up some burgers for lunch and got our first "official VW Bus treatment" from the local sheriffs. They gave Rachel the ol' stinkeye as we passed them and then followed us to the beach to check our ID's, ask if we were on probation, ask why I was looking at the truck in the lot that had, in addition to about 12 "rebel" flags, a sticker that read "in 1969, this is the only Woodstock I remember (picture of a carbine)." He tryed to peek in the bus as he called in our info and then kindly fucked off when he couldn't get anything on us.

Anyways, we all had fun, got plastered and ate some damn good 'taters. Barb is the official 'tater fryer for the Arctic.

Pics coming later... Sorry Static, my girl erased the video of us driving behind you, I told her to erase any crappy pictures to make some room, and the video just shows up as a crappy picture in the camera index. My fault entirely. :bom:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:55 pm

<enter pix and story HERE> :drunken:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:30 pm

Yes, it was a swell time (what I remember of it, anyway) the buses were in fine form and so were the people in attendance.

After several adult beverages, we repeatedly inspected a pipe for flaws and found none. Many elaborate stories were swapped around the campfire, some them a bit embellished, some of them downright made up. There was no shortage of food and snacks. Happiness ensued.

The campground was nice, the toilets cleans, we saw lots of wildlife and stars. Some of us saw double at times.

(After we parted ways, my bus performance failed miserably which I will whinge about in a different topic. Let me just say that, after what I went through, don't be surprised if I give up the bus entirely!)

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:44 pm

static wrote: Let me just say that, after what I went through, don't be surprised if I give up the bus entirely!)
Sounds like a good time was had by all. This quote, however... [-(
Save me the trouble and post a link to this other thread.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:50 pm

DjEep and Ray Chill.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:51 pm

We had a bit of a problem with spiders...

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:54 pm

Barb: guardian of Elwood.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:54 pm

Static sits.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:56 pm

The three caballeros.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Our toasty campfire with a view.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:07 pm

static wrote:don't be surprised if I give up the bus entirely
Here's what I think of that: :fart:
But do tell, what happened? Did you ever make it to the next camp?

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:05 am

DjEep wrote: We took that county road back through Carmel. It was an incredible drive
That is one of my favorite roads in California. The view from the top of the pass is a landscape painter's dream. I love the way the road is so narrow there is no line down the middle and the moss draped oaks hang over the road like a green tunnel. Mmmm... I hope that area will long remain unspoiled.
71 bus, 74 westy