IAC Arroyo Seco campout: Friday after Thanksgiving

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

static
IAC Addict!

IAC Arroyo Seco campout: Friday after Thanksgiving

Post by static » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:45 am

(Another topic mover since the original was getting cluttered)

Friday after Thanksgiving: Arroyo Seco Campground, Los Padres Natl. Forest
West of Greenfield, East of Carmel Valley. Very, very nice campground with level sites, hot showers, flush toilets, fishing pond.

So far, there will be at least three buses there. Not enough to justify renting the group site for $87, but the campground is spiffy and we can camp nearby each other.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Who's bringin' the turkey and who's bringin' the taters?

We have a 12'x20' tarp, 10'x10' canopy and propane heater and grill, so if El Nino tries anything we'll be ready. Bring it on!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:24 pm

:cheers: Yes i do not have to be back to my JOB working for someone else till dec 1st. Been running into alot of little time consuming fixes. Got some hand held nice cb's donated to me today, not that they were nessacery but fun and a 12v cooler I plan to buy before Arctic I have to find a fuse for tommorow or buy a cheap styro. Alls good for my trip up the 101 - Map Quest wants me on the 5 but I have lots of maps to get me the hell out of SO Cal on tues maybe weds. Will boondock before dark and have every hope of being in Arroyo Seco by fri. Can,t promise any share food , cus I just don,t know how Elwood will do on this shake down but will bring fire wood , marshmellows and a really Jazzed attitude. Bringing my laptop with wireless so will try to keep anyone going updated.
Got any suggestions on where I can pull over and sleep between LA and Santa Cruz?

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:11 pm

Planning on heading down thursday and boondockin too. Or early on friday. Need to give geri a little tune up, fix the plugwires and plugs, but she should do just fine. Was looking at a CB on craigslist, but I flaked... :blackeye:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:31 am

Hay Anthony, I can't afford a cb yet , but want one for the arctic. Just happened I ask this dude where to go to buy one off the hill and he said he bought these hand held off the internet before we got cell signal up here. Just a play thing but serious tools too be sure. Will be a trip to test out to see the milage range ect. My Elwood sounds strong and all lights are working but have not had him in 4th on a long haul yet so ~ so looking forwards to this adventure ~ going to be putting in every thing Ive been gathering and have had pertaining to survival camping ,cooking,tools,repair ect. tomorrow and going to local garage to see if I can get them to put him up on rack to put on belly pan to proteck front under belly.

Where do you hide pot these days? I used to roll joints and put them in tampones and glue the paper covers back up. Long time ago~ any suggestions ? I usuall fly :flower: Barb

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:31 am

Barb, if you take 5, you should cut across to the 101 on 46 (the James Dean Memorial Highway). There is a roadside rest stop in Shandon. Last time I went through there it was still rural with some wineries opening up. Rt. 46 will cross 101 in Paso Robles.

Either way you go, there is a roadside rest just north of Paso Robles on the 101.

If you take 101 all the way, San Luis Obispo is another good place to stop for rest. The south end of downtown is mellow, near the mission.
71 bus, 74 westy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:49 am

Thanks Birdie ~ looks like a good place around the 46 and 101. Will be staying off the 5 ~ too many trucks I hear tell and untill I get new tires and alot more road under me I don,t feel confidant but will after this trip :colors:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:03 am

Elwood wrote: Where do you hide pot these days? I used to roll joints and put them in tampones and glue the paper covers back up. Long time ago~ any suggestions ? I usuall fly :flower: Barb
Sound like my girl's dad. Not tampons, but wrapped in tissue, then foil, then paper, then stashed.

I just stick a bucket-full under the seat and don't worry about it. If a cop wants to search, that is his problem. He'll have to get through me and my rights first. Plus, there are so many places to stash in a bus I figure they'd just get the dogs to make it easier on them. Then it doesn't matter where it is stashed, they will find it. Only gonna take it away anyway.

If you must, behind the dash gauges works, or actually the best place is in a pocket. A cop can search a car fairly easily, but your person is different.

I was pulled from a car by SF narcs w/ four 9mm's aimed @ my face once. They pulled 2 loaded bowls and a stash box from my pocket, then got real spooked and pushed it all back in, saying "We are only looking for weapons." No right to search your person without consent or arrest, but they can check for weapons.

Oh yeah the incident with the narcs was due to the driver of the vehicle looking too "young and poor" to be driving a nice late model Dodge Durango. It was his, so they tryed to harass him for the syringes in the glove box. They felt reeaaaal bad when they asked me about them and I walked over and lifted his shirt to show them the insulin pump in his abdomen....

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:09 pm

I am very fond of using 166 to get over to 101. Nice, easy 'sweepers' that are kind to an old bus. If you are feeling more adventuresome, 58 is 'da bomb'.

I changed the oil, set the valves, checked the tire pressure and stocked up on red wine all in preparation for the trip.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:21 pm

I'll bring some good beer and mead, since I don't know much about wine shopping.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:38 pm

Damn it gets dark too early! However, I did get garage to put on skid plate and got extra oil incase small leek causes a proplem; doubt it, but will watch closely as I have my way with the freeway early am. Have asked many on best way out of LA basin ( must be called that for a reason) Fuse works in cooler and have got extra backup. Practicing my smile and peace sign for tomorrow road rage warriors . To me this trip is a lesson on learning what to expect.

To my delight, my daughter in her exployer is looking very forward to this campout and will meet me at Arroyo Seco on thurs. She will bring goodies from trader joes ie ; jams and ham and wine and other things. I so want to try out and season the grill and skillit I got. I have the 'taters and onion' to fry up and free range organic eggs ( that crackes me up) and tillimoock cheese to make omellets if you want on fri am. or Sat. to be more in in-time. I bought some "Fat Tire Beer" today because, well just because.

What the hell is mead?

She was rolling up quarters for shower last i talked to her but said she would not need them ~ mellow out ~ See ya there! Barb

Thanks again for the plan static . Should be interesting.

fyi - she has been a producer for and traveled w Elton, Stones in Singapor e and Madonna and others all over the world . High stress factor. Helped produce Santana at concert at some place in concord valley w/neval bros. Ive been to many and understand the "SO What attitude " of that industry. I just want to see her count the stars in the heavens and look for a joy of life thats real and stable.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:55 pm

Woo Hoo! almost time! Put some new plugs and wires on Geri today and tomorrow I am gonna toss in the Compufire that is currently in Navin. So it should hopefully be easy sailing. (hmmmmm...wind powered bus???)

We will prolly be heading out early Friday, so keep an ear out in the early afternoon for Geri's distinctive "bratz" (thankyouverymuch $15 ebay muffler)

And mead is wine, often spiced, made from honey. Very nice on a cool autumn night. Sweet, spicy and warming. mmmm mmmm

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:25 pm

Y'all travel safe and have a great time. I want to see photos. The gauntlet has been thrown by the PNW Weenies. :joker:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:12 pm

We must be the Pacific-kinda-North-yet-kinda-South-but-definitely-West SuperWeenies going to our nice comfortable State Park with showers and toilets and everything :geek:

We'll take pics and maybe write a song about it or something...

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:14 pm

To me it is the journey ~ not the destanation~ and I would love to add to a song about just that. A strange mix of bus owners to be sure, but all with the same goal of ~ being differant and free spirited and sharring a Thanksgiving ~ lets gobble it up and injoy :partyman: