IAC Arroyo Seco campout: Friday after Thanksgiving

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Birdibus wrote:The view from the top of the pass is a landscape painter's dream.
You mean this view? (of course this pic could never do it justice)
[albumimg]312[/albumimg]

and then there are these:
[albumimg]303[/albumimg]
[albumimg]304[/albumimg]
[albumimg]305[/albumimg]
[albumimg]306[/albumimg]
[albumimg]307[/albumimg]
[albumimg]308[/albumimg]
[albumimg]309[/albumimg]
[albumimg]310[/albumimg]
[albumimg]311[/albumimg]
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:43 pm

I want to hear about Elwood's trip. . . .
It was good to see Elwood out and about.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:56 pm

Looks like a great trip. Only one thing missing though. Rain! :compress:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:25 am

We got rained on right after the sheriff's tried to start sh*t. Poured from Monterey to SF. I wish it rained... Camping in the sun is no fun!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 am

Oh.... the irony!
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:46 pm

DjEep~ Yes, that is the area. So nice to see it again. The view is a bit "atmospheric" in that photo. I had to come back today to look at it again and save the image. Did you see the "newt crossing" signs down in the mossy shady canyon? At which beach were you hassled? It's no longer Steinbeck's vision of a tattered and colorful town and if you don't appear to belong to the revenue stream of tourist dollars, then woe to you.

[albumimg]312[/albumimg]

Oh! here's another pic I found online:
71 bus, 74 westy

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:41 am

I like all those early gray bays my brothers and sisters. Dejavu.
Which one is Elwood?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:51 am

Elwood is the sleek-looking blue & white one.
The one with the poptop and the nice paint belongs to Rachel.
The third bus is the one that I am currently not speaking to. :sad11:

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:40 am

You 2 will mend broken ways. I like the slight patina on your surface, gives the bus a cozy and well used look.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:28 am

Good Morning from Barb and Elwood, 300 miles north of my home in a cozy motel room in Paso Robles, Ca. Sadly Elwood has a carburetor problem that just "snapped" as I was pulling off the 101 to gas up. It was dark and very cold and windy 20% This did give me the space to learn how to get on the internet with wifi card.

Took a look at daybreak and found the tiny screwdriver to fit the adjustment screws and brought in my "Books" to study before I go back out (after things warm up a bit) my hands don't work well when they are BLUE!

All and all this has been a great experience of learning what not to bring and stupid things I know to bring but did not!

Static gave, via cell call, a name and place to go in Berkeley for my mysterious squeak while I was still up in the Bay Area. That place was too busy, as owner said, way too many broken vw's but referred me to a shop in San Rafael. I will give more info on this very helpful and very cool old shop after I get home (info in bus). The owner Paul examined my suspect wheel bearing and found it just fine, I had just had them checked and repacked. The actual culprit was the new brake shoes that were rubbing on drum every so often. He explained and did take a file to edge of shoes on both front sides to remove uneven burrs. All old school vw folks know to do this with the new parts we are forced to buy. I will tell WW of this and suggest they pass on the info to us new buyers. It was a relieving lesson and hit the road south with a sigh of relief~till last night :pale:

Called my work to warn them I would not be in tomorrow, maybe, wish I could just keep on driving to lots more places :flower: I'm having fun :cheers:

DjEep, I hope your face has healed ok from spider attack, mine is still scabby from my retreat to my camp space and trip on no doubt a pile of Sasquatch scat :drunken:

Rachel, you are by far the best Fire Goddess and gourmet marshmello toaster.

I will look forward to seeing you both again up in the Arctic.

Barb
(spellchecked-ed)

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Me again after fixing carb problem for now =D> it was the idle adjustment stopper thingy. I know I'm the lightweight that just got out of a motel room chic, but give me a break for a while ok? Lots of things are moving around on this trip and Im getting acquainted with them and admit I'm very paranoid. Should really take up the way others mellow out :flower:

Static, by the way, has a very cool well-used bus and decorated the camp-site with lots of great new, used, and collectible kerosene lanterns and a tablecloth he got in India on one of his trips. He is a wealth of knowledge and likes to tell the stories.

I did learn to never expect anyone in a Explorer to love to camp with VW buses. And thank Anthony and Rachel for being so kind to my daughter.

Now off to the open road.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:15 pm

Safe travels! Test runs are crucial.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:49 pm

I think that shop in San Rafael built, or assisted in building, and serviced navin's engine. The one with 70,000 miles and hammered bearings that still runs like a top, aside from previously mentioned age related quirks.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:30 pm

:cyclopsani: :bounce: We are home at 10pm after leaving Paso Robles at noon, with two short gas stops and Shoot and Kill me if I ever drive thru LA traffic again at 3:30 to forever :pale: I would have gotten off and hung out a few hours in Hollywood or anywhere, but I could not even get off the road. Those people are crazy and mean!!!! But Elwood ran like a champ and tolerated the endless stop and go traffic and clutch popping it took to keep his engine from dying, I learned real quick how to put him in neutral and use the emercincy brake, while gunning the gas pedal. Obvious adjustments needed soon. But here we are ~~~ cats are fine, but a little ticked at me after leaving them for 8 days, they will get over it as soon as I warm up this icebox of a cabin. Will give more details about gas mileage etc. later. For now I'm really really proud :geek:

ps as a really cool foot note Elwood's high beams have never worked, and after all the What the Fuck are those things blinding me, and WHY? As soon as we started up the climb home I tried just because and lo and behold they worked just as the deer xxx signs appeared. Do know that they will be cleaned and done proper for Arctic trip, but that was a way cool signal from my Main Man :cheers:

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Don,t want to beat a dead horse here but I did go to work today. Just got home a 10pm and I really appreciate and love my job. It is paying for Elwoods and Jakes needs.

Colin, as you posted in Arctic forum, I do know how easy the fixes were and Im so gratefull. Did not know what to expect and was ready for anything, well almost , the things that went beyound my knowledge got fixed or explained real quick. As I told you before I will now do a compression test, got to buy the tool, and know more about the state of this engine. I would like to open up the case and take a look-see in the one that came with, not in, Jake. It is a duel port and from what I have read on these forums, would not be any more powerfull than the single port in Elwood???

I traveled 1,211.8 miles ~ bought 56.24 gal of gas ~ yes it was 91 always will be~ spent $173.87 and the most I payed was here in my town
@$3.099 no surprize and the least was in Hayward,Ca @$2.699. Got lost in the driving rain and would not have ended up in that town otherwise.
All others were with in .10 of each other. Nine gas stops in all, last one not in figures because still have more than half a tank. Milage is 20.71~ don,t know how true my speedo is but looked right on with those flashing markers at certain points. Im sure the long and hedious miles thru LA did its toll on this, but Im pleased to be back home and Elwood deserves all the thanks.

Colin don,t you think this was a good test drive? And what would you advise I do next?

Thanks Barb