IAC midwest get together

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:35 pm

http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:18 pm

In the fall lake michigan keeps chicago warmer because the lake takes longer to cool reaching its coldest temperatures in spring. In the spring when the wind blows off the cool lake it keeps temps colder. I used to live in Wheaton about 25 miles west of chicago and temps would fluctuate based on the wind direction, but since moving west of the fox river our weather is no longer affected by lake michigan. It gets colder at night and the snow starts to fly earlier during a storm because the lake isnt there to keep things warm in the fall and early winter.

These are my observations from a amateur meteorologist.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

turk

Post by turk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:34 pm

tanks guys. yeah, the lake is a great moderator. then there's the seiche

Doc1982
I'm New!

Post by Doc1982 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:05 pm

I think we should start palnning something for this spring. There's never enough going on in the midwest. I don't want to have to go move to FL or CA just to get together with some fellow bus pilots! :bounce:
1977 Westy
Just Enough Spare Time

Yesterday is History
Tomarrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift!

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:48 pm

:profileright:

Doc1982
I'm New!

Post by Doc1982 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:36 am

Sean Gallagher wrote:We will have a full schedule of events this year for those of you near the Great Lakes. Check us out...

http://www.odinpowersailors.com/leakoil/
Is that club mostly centered around Ohio? I couldn't find much that was happening outside that state on the site - but if I can make it that far this summer I'll definately have to swing by. =D>
1977 Westy
Just Enough Spare Time

Yesterday is History
Tomarrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift!

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 am

Doc1982
I'm New!

Post by Doc1982 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Sean Gallagher wrote:We have very active members in Michigan and some of us we try to get up there at least once a year. If it makes you feel any closer, we have a number of members in Western Ohio.

Kelley's Island in early October is the flagship event. It's about 300 miles (5 - 1/2 hours) from downtown Chicago to Kelley's. The Dixie Bus/Columbus Ohio show in August is probably the biggest event we attend. One other cool event is the "Shawshank" show at the old Mansfield Reformatory where the 'Shawshank Redemption' was filmed. They let us camp right at the prison and we pretty much have the run of the place.

Last year we had someting going nearly neary every weekend from May to the end of October. We expect an even busier schedule this year. You are always welcome!

Rustic Knolls "Dixie Bus"
[img][albumimg]1671[/albumimg][/img]

"Shawshank" Mansfield Reformatory. Site of annual VW show.
[img][albumimg]1672[/albumimg][/img]

Kelley's Island. LEAKOIL'S flagship event.
[img][albumimg]1673[/albumimg][/img]
Looks like a great time! Unfortunatly Kelleys is actually about 500 miles from where I live in southern illinois, but it's also after most of the festival season is over so hopefully I'll be able to make it! As far as the shawshank place goes, do they actually let you into the prison? I love old asylums and such, I would have a blast exploring that place. That being said, I'm not sure how my mind would react to seeing a prison first thing in the morning :pale:
1977 Westy
Just Enough Spare Time

Yesterday is History
Tomarrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:05 pm

How about Galena,IL in April?

PS: Mansfield is beautiful, freaky, just like Joliet Penitentiary is sooo beautiful.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:08 am

Sean Gallagher wrote:Kelley's Island in early October is the flagship event.
Kelley's Island. LEAKOIL'S flagship event.
[img][albumimg]1673[/albumimg][/img]
Kelly's Island, first went there in 1974, last went in 1990. Great place, nothing like camping near the lake on an island, I camped on South Bass a few years ago. Lots of wine, man such privations you all must face on that island there! I am soooo jealous!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:19 pm

Sean Gallagher wrote:The strangest thing is they bring a beer truck right up to the front door. It arrived a few decades too late for the original inmates.
Now that really is roughing it. I suppose they pour the beer in your pitcher for you too?

BTW Sean, still sporting the LEAKOIL sticker on the Bus.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Sean Gallagher wrote: Yes, I believe they do.

Well you have a sticker and a bus, so come back up sometime for a LEAKOIL event.

NOTE: Shawshank isn't a LEAKOIL event, but on Friday night all the LEAKOIL folks are out in force so it sure feels like one. Its run by Paul Smith who does an outstanding job. Here is his link. Check it out http://ohiotubfanatics.com/id48.htm
Whew, that would be a killer, Atlanta to Kelly's Island. I did that the time I camped on South Bass, drove all the way with my son. Just about killed me too.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm in.