Kelley Park, anybody?

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Kelley Park, anybody?

Post by JLT » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Is anybody (besides me) going to the Kelley Park show this weekend in San Jose or the BYOB swap meet at the Red Barn in Aromas?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Kelley Park, anybody?

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Would were I in the area. Have fun.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:16 am

Are they still keeping Kelley Park as a vintage-only shindig? And if so, how are they handling the rusty/primered/slammed "hoodride" thing .. letting it in when the car happens to be "vintage", or making them park the ratty sh*tboxes outside so there's room in the park for the nice original/restored cars?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:58 am

I think it's still just a cut off for the year at which you can enter, but it's otherwise open.

the first year I went they still allowed up to 1977, and I took second place for the Baywindows with my 76 Westy at the time.
the following year they cut it off to 72 and I believe have kept going backwards to keep the number of entrants lower.
1979 California Transporter

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:03 am

tristessa wrote:Are they still keeping Kelley Park as a vintage-only shindig? And if so, how are they handling the rusty/primered/slammed "hoodride" thing .. letting it in when the car happens to be "vintage", or making them park the ratty sh*tboxes outside so there's room in the park for the nice original/restored cars?
I don't think they've limited attendance on the basis of condition. (At least, you're not required to describe it on the registration form, and many of the cars in the show are run-of-the-mill daily drivers.) And the promo info states that it's open to all air-cooled VWs, regardless of year.

Three years ago, they let Chanai's split-window bus in, all tied together with webbing, after it had been rolled twice in the Shasta Snow Trip. But it's true that there are fewer of them every year, since surviving VWs are likely to be better taken care of.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 am

JLT wrote:Three years ago, they let Chanai's split-window bus in, all tied together with webbing, after it had been rolled twice in the Shasta Snow Trip.
I want a picture of that!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:55 am

Way back ten or twelve years ago when we were living in Santa Rosa I toyed with the idea of taking our Fastback to Kelley Park, but got the impression -- probably from Ken @ Vintage Technology (my parts guy) -- that they only let pre-'68 cars in the park/show, and the Fasty is a 1970. Didn't want to take my "daily beater" '65 Beetle because it was a dented-up bucket with red primer, brushed-on house paint and bumpers that were falling off .. and while I'm not a polish-the-bolts purist snob by any stretch, I'd be embarrassed to put something like that in a car show.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Missed selling at Kelley park (first time in 8 years being in the bay area vw events) by around 5 miles as my Ford van burned up the front pass side caliper, rotor, bearings and spindle.... :cussing:

3 days holed up in a hotel and $600 in repairs....
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Thu May 03, 2012 4:27 pm

werksberg wrote:Missed selling at Kelley park (first time in 8 years being in the bay area vw events) by around 5 miles as my Ford van burned up the front pass side caliper, rotor, bearings and spindle....
I wondered where you were, particularly since I'd seen you just the day before at the Red Barn.

You'll just have to come up our way again sometime. Bug-O-Rama, perhaps?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sat May 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Bummer to hear, that .. sucks.