April campout in Covelo!

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:20 am

Rob your boss. You'll have money, and no job! Perfect!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:23 am

tristessa wrote:
covelo wrote:We need to figure out some logistics around the key to the gate.
If there's a good-sized tree near the gate, a small nail in the backside makes for a pretty good hide-a-key in rural areas. I know some folks in Trinity County that've done that with their gate key .. probably something to do with not having to hike two miles (yes, two miles!) uphill from their house to the driveway.

Not gonna make Covelo. Lack of funds, can't get the time off work.
Bummer. Work always gets in the way of life.

My otherwise friendly neighbors are obsessed about that gate and those keys, so I don't think hiding them is an option, but we'll come up with a plan. (Trespassing is a very big deal in this area due to some high-value crops that some people grow.)
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:26 am

Yeah, I think the reality of distance and $$ really hit home recently. Especially with the Vanagon crapping out...but I was having doubts even before that.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am

covelo wrote:(Trespassing is a very big deal in this area due to some high-value crops that some people grow.)
So no wandering, gotcha. :salute:

I've been to music festivals in the area. That is the biggest rule. Don't wander too far. You will regret it.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:47 am

Don't wander too far. You will regret it.
..once tried some spontaneous Bus camping in a field in a farming area of Kentucky...within half hour two guys arrived with shotguns and said 'Git !'
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:31 pm

covelo wrote:
tristessa wrote:
covelo wrote:We need to figure out some logistics around the key to the gate.
I can meet up with DjEep so we can drive up together, just need to get the timing down. I'm sure we will figure something out
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Looking forward to attending this shindig!

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:44 am

My bus still isn't up to the trip (that and I'll probably be working on this report deadline I find myself in).

Any of you Bay Area folk up for stopping in at the Bear Republic Brewery in Healdsburg for a quick beer and meet-n-greet on the way up 101 Friday afternoon/evening? I'd love to meet a few of ya as you pass through our little tourist trap of a town.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:08 am

Ritter wrote:My bus still isn't up to the trip (that and I'll probably be working on this report deadline I find myself in).

Any of you Bay Area folk up for stopping in at the Bear Republic Brewery in Healdsburg for a quick beer and meet-n-greet on the way up 101 Friday afternoon/evening? I'd love to meet a few of ya as you pass through our little tourist trap of a town.
That's one of our favorite stopovers. Racer 5 will make the windy road to Covelo more of a challenge though. We haven't been to Healdsburg since they reopened the Ukiah Brewing Company pub in Hopland last year. (You could really do well in the beer department going up, with stops at brewpubs in Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Hopland, and Ukiah; where are those designated drivers when you need them?).

I'm not quite sure exactly when I will be passing through, but will do a little inventory by next Wednesday. So keep Friday afternoon free for now.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:11 am

Sounds fun. We're supposed to meet up with Sailorkh somewhere, maybe you just figured it out for us.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:22 pm

Just wanted to get a quick head count and timing for planning purposes. The weather looks good next weekend.

I will be there no later than noon on Friday and will probably stay until Sunday evening. How about everyone else?

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Plan on leaving SF about 4pm on friday, then meeting up with Kris somewhere, maybe in SR w/ Ritter. Leaving sunday afternoon to get back in time for the lady to get to work 6am Monday.

How long is the trip, as the bus flies, about 4hrs?

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:10 pm

That's about right. I would say 4.5 hours, but that's with a dog who needs bathroom breaks.

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:49 am

I'm planning on heading out of here around 2 on friday. Healdsburg sounds like a cool place to hang untill Dj gets there. I'll probably head home on sunday afternoon as well. The GPS seems to know where we are going, so we won't get lost. Just need to plan an ETA for the gate keeper :cheers:

Here's to a great weekend!! :geek:
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:51 am

For those passing through Healdsburg (DjEep, Sailorkh, others?), I'll be a slave to the machine until around 5 but could meet up with any of you after that. If you are looking to gather to caravan, there's good eats/beer at the Bear Republic and good slumming in the main parking lot or at the square, depending on your slumming habits. It might highly agitate the wealthy tourists if there was more than one bus parked at the square..... urban blight and all.

Healdsburg is a little less than midway but you'll be free of traffic congestion once you head north. Hope to meet a few of you if the timing works out.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI