2nd Annual Deschutes River RendezVW - Maupin, Oregon

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:41 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote:1. how long should I take off (I have 6 weeks vacation)
2. I am the typical hoosier :geek:
3. I don't have all my teef :cheers:
4. I know Nascar better than I know myself :bounce:
5. mullet please :king:
9. rip on me all you'd like, I shall represent Indiana well! Will do!
10. do I have to repair anything while there?
Blatant quote violations here Ryan, sorry...but you requested that we rip on you.

6 weeks? Take as much as you can afford/want to take for this...the Pacific NW and everything between it and Indiana could take years to enjoy....I believe you'd appreciate any extra day(s) planned into your schedule.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:23 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I too was wondering how long I would have to take off, let me know repairman, I'll try and swing it.
A teaming up of buses?

tristessa wrote:Lessie .. the Maupin gathering is three days. A guy I know drove to Oregon from Detroit last summer in a '66 Squareback and took four days to do it (arrived on the fifth day) .. not hauling ass but not poking along either. And he cut off I-80 in Winnemucca and took secondary highways the rest of the way to Roseburg (via Klamath Falls). You'd probably be on I-80 to Salt Lake City and taking I-84 from there .. but I'm guessing.

Based on that, I'd say to figure on two weeks, two and a half weeks if you want "breathing room" time.
sounds like a plan...most of the time spent driving the bus...but still worth the adventure. Perhaps I should record this...

coming soon to a theatre near you: " hoosier goes west"

If Colin can do it in a 1.7L bus, I can do it with my fuel injected dreamcycle magic bus. :geek:

here it is checkin' out this westy...
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:09 pm

Ryan, this should get you here in style.

[albumimg]393[/albumimg]
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:57 pm

Take at least 3 weeks so you can take your time, see the West on US highways, maybe do a little mountain camping once you get out here if that's your thing. It's too long of a trip to be in a hurry. You can do it in 2 weeks but that's pretty condensed. Avoid the interstates, you miss all the beauty of Real America.
Mushroom season is around October when the rain starts soaking everything but it's still sorta warm. But you can still find em' year round.
Rust never sleeps. Just no help from road salt here.
As far as repairs, you're a trusted aircooled mechanic so you shouldn't worry about that crap.
You comin too, Chitown? Should drag Eric back here!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:30 am

I may not be a typical Hoosier but I definitely was a typical Bloomington resident!

Not sure about the medical field out here except that I work at an Army hospital....PM me and I can tell you all about it.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 am

spiffy wrote:I may not be a typical Hoosier but I definitely was a typical Bloomington resident!

Not sure about the medical field out here except that I work at an Army hospital....PM me and I can tell you all about it.
I am not typical as I think I'm the only here that can say he sold Avon products in order to purchase a '72 westy back in the year 2000. Since the production area at my work is nearly all females; it was an easy task and I was ridiculed for it, but when I rolled up in that bus, I was the one with the smile on my face. Soon the laughter turned into excitement for a chance to "get busy" in that old bus... trap door access or not, the '72 is a good year of bus in my opinion.

Ok, so 2 weeks to plan for said trip? Anyone else besides Chi-town going with me? I think we need to make this a huge bash if possible. Hopefully, I will have access to a laptop to report my mileage so you can prepare for us all to arrive.

Will there be showers available? I don't want to become a stinkfoot or anthing.

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:30 am

What kind of medical device company do you work for now? Only asking because a good friend of mine who lived in Btown just left a medical supply co., just wonderin'

There's tons of job opportunities out here...

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:31 am

CoPilot1978 wrote:What kind of medical device company do you work for now? Only asking because a good friend of mine who lived in Btown just left a medical supply co., just wonderin'

There's tons of job opportunities out here...
I'm a technician in a quality control microbiology laboratory. I am responsible for the monitoring of class 100,000 clean rooms, the sampling of process water for bioburden and bacterial endotoxins, coordination of biocompatibility testing (and sometimes the assessment of new devices) of class 2 medical devices. My company is not located in Bloomington, however.

My knowledge would also be applicable in the pharmeceutical industry as well- including aseptic fills, environmental monitoring, etc. I've also been known to repair co-workers vehicles (I just wish they drove air-cooled cars to join my bus in the parking lot)

A benefit to being here for nearly 13 years is the amount of vacation time- which will enable me to make the trek out west to meet you all. (can we play some Iron Maiden on open mic night?)

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:09 am

Well, if yer doin 2 weeks expect 3 days trip each way. 2000+ miles. That still gives you a week ta screw around.
Do you have any plans once you get out here?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:40 am

hambone wrote:Well, if yer doin 2 weeks expect 3 days trip each way. 2000+ miles. That still gives you a week ta screw around.
Do you have any plans once you get out here?
nay- I thought someone would have an intinerary or agenda at some point to follow.
Wasn't Mark supposed to send out meeting minutes as well?

I didn't get that memo...

someone better tell me which songs to practice of the bass section of the music will be lacking greatly...

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:42 pm

VWBusrepairman wrote: Ok, so 2 weeks to plan for said trip? Anyone else besides Chi-town going with me?
I don't have 6 weeks of time, so I'm going to have to strike a compromise. Plus it's the kids last week of school before that weekend...gotta do some math, crunch some numbers, my head hurts...
VWBusrepairman wrote: Will there be showers available? I don't want to become a stinkfoot or anthing.
Too late.

PS: Colin had a 1.8L, don't know what he's building up.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:59 pm

chitwnvw wrote: I don't have 6 weeks of time, so I'm going to have to strike a compromise. Plus it's the kids last week of school before that weekend...gotta do some math, crunch some numbers, my head hurts...
VWBusrepairman wrote: Will there be showers available? I don't want to become a stinkfoot or anthing.
Too late.

PS: Colin had a 1.8L, don't know what he's building up.
so, we take 2 weeks. I have finals right before that, so I know what you mean.

Colin wishes he had a sweet fuel injected 2 liter, though. Doesn't he already have an 091 transmission?

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:37 pm

IF ???? Ryan - Im there - will you treat me with respect? You really scare me. Im a really simple mountain lady that loves her busses and have a mission to get them running and go on with what life has to offer them. I love this forume and would really like to meet and greet any one , but you are a "Mind Fuck" for me and would like a honest answer, w/o you being "cute and nasty" What say you? Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:35 am

Yah, repair man, you're a mind fuck...

That aside, I'll check with the wife about the two week thing, she loves our August thing into the UP, you're invited to that. There's a Vanagon dude in Ironwood, we have to check out....

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:55 am

Hay Repairman, I really hope you can read between the lines of this internet thaing and know Im kidding you . I think you do the same as I , but in a diff generation frame of mind. You gross me out and I more than certainly remind you of a motherly figure that repels you. I understand this and would hope we in our love of our ac can come to a meeting of the minds. OK? Barb

ps I do have tatoo and drink good beer, but do not like heavy metal music. What do you like? Hay how about Lennard Skinners's comeback. Do you have any night moves in your past?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood