April campout in Covelo!

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Due to mechanical/financial issues I'm not going to be able to make it. Hopefully in the near future though.
Crap.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:45 pm

Sell your body to science. Homer would!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:18 am

sailorkh wrote:I hope to make it up there too. My transaxel has been making funny noises in first and second lately, but if it hasn't totally given it up by then I'm goin! Sounds like a lot of fun.
Didja change the earl innit yet? If it blows up, there's probably room in the Lou for you too (that sounds bad).
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:13 pm

DjEep wrote:
sailorkh wrote:I hope to make it up there too. My transaxel has been making funny noises in first and second lately, but if it hasn't totally given it up by then I'm goin! Sounds like a lot of fun.
Didja change the earl innit yet? If it blows up, there's probably room in the Lou for you too (that sounds bad).
I did, and even used the Red Line synthetic gear oil. I think it was used to the dino stuff all it's life and the synthetic gave it indigestion or something. It only makes a kind of whiney sound in first and second. But, the drive up there should be mostly in 4th, so I'm goin for it!!

I am going to take a half day off on Friday the 27th so I can take my time and have a enjoyable cruise up there, and then head back home on Monday. Really looking forward to it!
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:20 pm

Looking forward to seeing you there! Let me know if you want to caravan on the way up.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Caravans are always fun! I hafta wait for Dingo to get back from Nawlins. Dingo? any clue when your flight gets in?

Is it buggy up there Hans? We need to test out our spiffy new Skeeter Shelter.

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:16 pm

I got the time off of work with the condition that if I have monday off I can get off friday at "noonish" . Translated is that I'm not too sure what time on friday I can bail so a caravan on the way up is out, but one for the return trip sounds very cool. We should at least exchange phone #'s just in case of troubles.

Dj brought up a good point about the little flying nasties, any of they up there?? What about the little things like showers,toilet, things like that.
Can we have a campfire?? (need to start getting wood).

Let me know what what I can bring or do to help
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:58 pm

No, it's not at all buggy that time of year. Maybe in June a bit, but not in April. We have lots of bats to take care of the bugs. There is an outhouse and a hot shower (outdoor) and more than enough wood for a campfire, although we shouldn't make it too big because I don't want to harm the soil. There is also a hot tub (wood fired) and a river to swim in. If people are up for it, we could all have dinner in the one local restaurant Saturday evening. The food is good and it's a fun place. The bar across the street from the restaurant is the only place outside of Hawaii that I know that has Kona Brewing Company Longboard on tap.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:53 am

99 Bottles in Santa Cruz does too, but they have everything, so they don't count.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 am

I talked to Dingo, he's getting in around noon on friday, I'm workin' till about 3-4pm on friday, so a late afternoon caravan sounds feasible. Anybody?

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm hoping to get off from work around noon or so, then head outta here before the traffic get's nasty. Maybe we could meet somewhere north, that would be cool ( I should stop for a while around half way to let the trans settle). I'll PM you with my cell phone number later this evening.
covelo wrote:more than enough wood for a campfire, although we shouldn't make it too big because I don't want to harm the soil.
I have a portable fire pit that I have been wanting to use and this would be perfect. No harming the soil =D>
covelo wrote: If people are up for it, we could all have dinner in the one local restaurant Saturday evening. The food is good and it's a fun place. The bar across the street from the restaurant is the only place outside of Hawaii that I know that has Kona Brewing Company Longboard on tap.
I was going to bring stuff to BBQ, but that sounds fun too. What does everyone else think??
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:38 pm

I'm always down for BBQ, There's more time for that too.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:03 am

There's also more than one night. I'll be there Friday and Saturday night, so we can have a BBQ one night and have dinner together the next night or people can just decide what to do when they feel like it.

If it continues to rain off and on, we may still have water in the creek next week. That would be nice. It was dry when I was there in March, but a couple good storms will charge it right back up.

We need to figure out some logistics around the key to the gate. I have two keys here so if some people are caravaning up on Saturday, you should probably pick up one of the keys, so we don't have to set a time for you to get in. (The gate is a mile and a half from our land and there is no cell phone service). Alternatively, everyone can tell me their estimated time of arrival and I will come down. Or we can all meet at the bar during a certain window and then drive up together.

Things to bring:

1. Flashlight
2. Tecnu (click here for more info)
3. Drinking water (just to be sure: we have a well, but it's been running low lately)
4. A sweater for the evenings
5. A hat and sunscreen if it is sunny
6. A good book
7. Dramamine if you get carsick easily

Directions:

Take Hwy 101 North past Willets
Look for turnoff to Covelo (Hwy 162 East) about 10 miles North of Willets
Drive 28 windy miles to Round Valley (be careful: lots of deer)
Once the road straightens out, drive about 1.5 miles to the first intersection (Fairbanks Road) and turn right
Drive to the end of the pavement on Fairbanks and turn right again
Follow the road through a 90-degree left turn onto Hill Road
Drive for about 2 miles until one lane bridge
Turn off right after one lane bridge at gate

If gate is open, drive in and lock gate behind you
Drive up dirt road past two switchbacks (maybe three, I forget)
Turn left at big dusty intersection
Follow road for about a mile until turnoff on left just beyond a blue school bus (I think it is just past telephone pole #23, but I always forget). Our entrance road goes steep downhill into a stand of Douglas Fir. If you see an old Toyota motorhome through the trees you have gone too far.

Here is a map. For Google Earth folks, the coordinates are Lat.39°45'41.22"N, Long.123°10'46.60"W

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:30 am

We'll figgur it out. Maybe hide the key somewhere?

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:58 am

covelo wrote:We need to figure out some logistics around the key to the gate.
If there's a good-sized tree near the gate, a small nail in the backside makes for a pretty good hide-a-key in rural areas. I know some folks in Trinity County that've done that with their gate key .. probably something to do with not having to hike two miles (yes, two miles!) uphill from their house to the driveway.

Not gonna make Covelo. Lack of funds, can't get the time off work.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!