April campout in Covelo!

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:17 pm

tristessa wrote:
hambone wrote:Is that high desert/oak woodland country? Looks like dry lands. Any public land around there (forest service)?
I need old maps before I know the history of an area. Exploring is always a kick tho.
Environmentally, it's fairly typical of the drier western parts of NorCal and the North Bay .. the wetter parts are full of redwoods. Dry and hot in summer but not as dry as Maupin. If it helps, the whole region is described as a Mediterranean climate .. not as dry as Maupin but not as wet as the Willamette Valley. Oak, manzanita, bay laurel (aka Oregon Myrtle), some pine & fir, plenty of poison oak & blackberry vines.

There's a huge chunk of forest service in the mountains, but I'm not seeing anything immediately around Covelo on the map I've got (old rand McNally roadmap).
Our land has both wetter and dryer parts. The wetter parts are extensively shaded by a grove of huge douglas firs (the darker shades on the Google Earth photos) and the dryer parts consist mostly of oak, manzanita, and digger pines.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:19 pm

covelo wrote:[albumimg]423[/albumimg]
I can't see enough to tell what kind of pooch that is, but it looks happy .. and a lot like some Brittney Spaniels I've known.

I've been looking at maps and figuring out routes, mostly concentrating on the southern end of the PDX->Covelo trek because I know that area fairly well. Quickest and most obvious route would be 199 to 101 and turn off onto 162 at Longvale. But if we're willing to go more off the beaten track and be adventurous ..

A few miles past Cave Junction is a mostly-paved road that leads to Happy Camp. Take Highway 96 south from there to Somesbar, take the road there (I forget the name) to Callahan, which puts us on Highway 3 .. which runs past Trinity Lake, through Weaverville to Hayfork, where it connects to Highway 36. Follow that to Mad River, turn off 36, go past Ruth Lake, through Zenia and down into Covelo.

Yes, it's slow. Yes, it's windy and (in some spots) hill-climbey. But it'd take us through a whole part of California that a lot of people don't know exists .. thank <deity>.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:32 pm

covelo wrote:Our land has both wetter and dryer parts. The wetter parts are extensively shaded by a grove of huge douglas firs (the darker shades on the Google Earth photos) and the dryer parts consist mostly of oak, manzanita, and digger pines.
Which is exactly what I had in mind when I said "fairly typical" .. except that by "wetter", I was thinking more of the Mad, Eel, Navarro and (lower) Russian River areas that look so much like Endor you half-expect an Ewok to poke you with a spear when you fall off yout speeder bike. :joker:

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:37 pm

Upon further investigation of my proposed routing from Cave Junction, OR to Covelo, CA (see above) .. er, maybe not. I went stage-by-stage through the route in Google Maps' "Driving Directions" thingy and it worked out to about 9 hours driving time for 360 miles travelled (+/-) .. probably longer in a Bus.

Running out 199 to 101 is 274 miles and 5 hours 15 minuttes driving time. Big difference...

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:29 pm

We would love to make it, but it is on the outer limits of our drive time from WA. Dagnabbit.

Had poison oak bite me once....nasty stuff....and it spreads if ya don't know ya' got it.....jeesh that sucked. :alien:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 am

But what if you spend the night in Portland? Eh? :colors:
Yeah it's a long haul. Not sure I can get the family on board, the little one is damn antsy on long trips. We'll have to see what evolves.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

jberger
Getting Hooked!

Post by jberger » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:34 pm

The CLF crews and family will be there.

Hans, could we circle down by the river in the grass? That would be sweet. Not sure about your "home owners association" though..

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:47 pm

jberger wrote:The CLF crews and family will be there.

Hans, could we circle down by the river in the grass? That would be sweet. Not sure about your "home owners association" though..
It would be. I'm sure it would be OK during the day, not sure about doing it overnight.

jberger
Getting Hooked!

Post by jberger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:04 pm

hambone wrote:But what if you spend the night in Portland? Eh? :colors:
Yeah it's a long haul. Not sure I can get the family on board, the little one is damn antsy on long trips. We'll have to see what evolves.
Ham,
I took my (then) three kids on a 5000 mile road trip (6 days of driving) two years ago. Would trade a moment of it. The kids adapt.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:40 am

Am I still on the guest list? I thought this trip faded into oblivion... Guess Not! :cheers:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:32 pm

Yes you are, and the trip is on! I'll probably drive up in the morning of April 27 and I think there will be people until at least Monday evening. I know the CLF will be there and I hope to see some folks from Portland too!

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:46 pm

I hope to make it up there too. My transaxel has been making funny noises in first and second lately, but if it hasn't totally given it up by then I'm goin! Sounds like a lot of fun.
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:02 pm

Yes, and people are encouraged to bus-pool to save gas! We have sparse but comfortable sleeping accomodations for at least 4-5 people without their own beds.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:49 pm

If the Dingo gets back from LA before then, he can hitch a ride in ol' Geri Lou.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:30 pm

yep, im flying in on the 27th...id be glad to ride shotgun or in the aft cabin with whomever is headin up
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."