Weber sprung a leak on the right port

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: Weber sprung a leak on the right port

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm

gaze down the throats of the carbs for dripping gas or just wetness, with the fuel pump on engine not running. also watch that oil level doesn't creep up over the next few days.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks vdubyah73, you bet I am. I went through about at least 4 times taking the carbs off and disassembling them after trying to fire it up. It has been mostly in the just warmer than freezing temp range, and various other things as I learned what I'm doing. The temps probably had little to do with it. I'll keep a close eye on it.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm having problems with the bus. I saw a little little gas at the spindle bearing. I wanted to tune up, but I was going to take off the carb again first to investigate that tiny leak. But my landlord was here and asked if I needed starter fluid. I said "no, it starts up" and when I tried to show him it didn't start. I pulled the plugs and the third and another were fouled, plus a little gas leak by the MUFFLER. I dunno what's goin on. I just pulled the line from the carb to 3 and 4 and it started just now.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:12 am

turk wrote:I'm having problems with the bus. I saw a little little gas at the spindle bearing. I wanted to tune up, but I was going to take off the carb again first to investigate that tiny leak. But my landlord was here and asked if I needed starter fluid. I said "no, it starts up" and when I tried to show him it didn't start. I pulled the plugs and the third and another were fouled, plus a little gas leak by the MUFFLER. I dunno what's goin on. I just pulled the line from the carb to 3 and 4 and it started just now.
You have Unintended Fuel Delivery Issue. Track it down!

a) float level
b) needle valve
c) blocked air correction
d) leaking accelerator pump discharge check valve
e) etc.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:41 pm

I appreciate the tech troubleshooting, and will double-check all these things. Actually, it started up fine and I took a test-drive, and it runs about how it did before the plug blowout happened in October. Of course, my retarded method of puttin' in new gaskets on the valve covers and putting them on backwards proved, well, you get the idea. I had not a big screwdriver or box-wrench with me and it was hands on the bales on hot exchangers a mile away from my house. DUH. I had to stop when I heard something atrocious coming from the engine and it wasn't my leaky loud exhaust. The engine was revving at 3000 rpm involuntarily. I just had to go back and pop the linkage lever back to idle. It got stuck. I need to play with it so it pops back. Doesn't seem to be leaking gas anymore. I think I was over-thinking the pedal to the floor starting method and overdoing it, rather than just turning the key and giving a gentle push on the pedal. So, my guess is I was flooding them with that method. Fuel pressure is 3.5 psi. I don't see any more gas leakage. I'm concerned I may have over-torqued the little nut on the spindle where it was leaking slightly before. I will take that carb off and loosen that a scosh. Things are looking better. Thanks a lot.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

How free should the play on the throttle-spindle be? I am having a problem that the throttle on the carb for cylinders three and four often doesn't snap back, even with various adjustments to the arms and spring. The throttle for one and two snaps back fine. It could be a slightly bent (upward) spring-holder. It is not identical to the spring-holder on the throttle for one and two. Well, I took it off and will play around with it. The lock washer is getting a tear from bending it. I'm sure I can replace that at a hardware store if need be. I might bend the spring-holder back a little to match the one on the other side that works fine. It has a crack in the metal from whovever bent it upward for whatever reason. Bending it back might break it. The throttle-spindle should have hardly any resistance in play (looser) I assume.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:23 pm

I (and everyone else with dual Webers) had the same problem. This is the answer.

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=551

You can thank the guy two posts up for the info. He also is responsible for my sharing of the Weber Tech Article link. Thank him again.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Okay! Makes sense. I wonder why it worked before. I seem to remember seeing that in the manual I was working with but not on my left (or right) carbs. So the old spring loaded on the right carb remains as is, but this new reverse coil is installed on the left. Okay! Thanks! Just to be 100% clear I will post more pictures of the situation.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:24 pm

On a 30 mile test drive it was fine until getting off the e-way and on surface streets after a few blocks. The idle went up to 3000 + involuntarily. It was the CB perf new spring not snapping back (I thought at first). Well, lots of stopping and re-adjusting the linkage, and stopping at lights to get out and manually pull the levers back, etc., etc., etc., for 15 miles. What a pain. The idle went up to 4000 rpm then. So, when I got home I added the old return spring in addition to the new CB Perf spring to the left carb. Seemed to work okay, but that's not it. Still revs up involuntarily after the engine runs a bit. It's not the throttle lever arms. Seems the carbs are doing this but I don't know how. What is causing the insane high idling?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:07 pm

This is not an area of expertise for me, but maybe the float, or maybe throttle plate sticking.
Are both carbs doing it?
Could the timing be getting advanced, although I don't think it could increase it that much.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:21 pm

steve74baywin wrote:... or maybe throttle plate sticking.
I went through the same frustration you are, Turk and Steve's suggestion was part of my problem. Because the left carb isn't really a left carb but a right carb turned around, the throttle shaft (the shaft with the plates screwed to it) had worn and would bind in certain positions. The problem REALLY manifested itself after a freeway run (aka high RPM) and then it would "idle down". I ended up replacing the throttle shaft and plates and installing the CB Perf. spring doo-dad to keep it from happening all over again.

Here's my thread-of-pain. Hopefully it will shed some useful light on your sitch.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8807
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks. I will take it apart and inspect the plates. If I put my hand over the barrels is slows down immediately and dies of course. I think I may have over-torqued both spindles when assembling the first time. I may have to have both re-trued or replaced as well as new plates on both now. So, who does this? keifernet I heard? Thanks for your knowledge. By the way that CB Perf kit spring looks kinda chintzy but what do I know. I wonder if I have the configuration wrong. I'll post some pics tomorrow or the next day.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun May 01, 2011 4:17 am

Ya. Keifernet.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 02, 2011 8:17 am

turk wrote:Thanks. I will take it apart and inspect the plates. If I put my hand over the barrels is slows down immediately and dies of course. I think I may have over-torqued both spindles when assembling the first time. I may have to have both re-trued or replaced as well as new plates on both now. So, who does this? keifernet I heard? Thanks for your knowledge. By the way that CB Perf kit spring looks kinda chintzy but what do I know. I wonder if I have the configuration wrong. I'll post some pics tomorrow or the next day.
For God's sake, rustle a known good fuel injection system and pay me for a day, and you too can drive your car again with excellent driveability, cold start, economy, and superior reliability . . . .
:pale:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon May 02, 2011 9:39 am

Amskeptic wrote:
turk wrote:Thanks. I will take it apart and inspect the plates. If I put my hand over the barrels is slows down immediately and dies of course. I think I may have over-torqued both spindles when assembling the first time. I may have to have both re-trued or replaced as well as new plates on both now. So, who does this? keifernet I heard? Thanks for your knowledge. By the way that CB Perf kit spring looks kinda chintzy but what do I know. I wonder if I have the configuration wrong. I'll post some pics tomorrow or the next day.
For God's sake, rustle a known good fuel injection system and pay me for a day, and you too can drive your car again with excellent driveability, cold start, economy, and superior reliability . . . .
:pale:
After five+ years of being proud (imagine that) at how smart and capable I was at keeping the FI system in my 78 Westy running, I removed it in 2009. I reflected on why "I" own, like and keep these vehicles. It was for the simplicity. The amount of times I had to look at the FI system in the 78 westy compared to the single carb in my 66 beetle or single weber progressive in my 74 bus was 100 times more. If a person takes the time to make the system like new, one could have many years of good use before he has to spend tons of time on it again.