Fuel leaking (wetness) from dual carb nipple

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Fuel leaking (wetness) from dual carb nipple

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am

Holy cow! I found something scary that may have existed all the while I've owned my bus and I'd like some advice on fixing it once and for all.

In looking at my engine after a drive this evening, I found some wetness at the fuel inlet on my right carb. I figured that I had damaged the hose with the hose clamp I had put on during my recent rebuild so I cut a new lenght of hose and replaced it. I started up the engine again and what do you know - problem was not fixed, wetness developing at the same spot

It appears to me that the brass inlet/nipple that is inserted in the carb body is not fitting perfectly tight. Moving it side to side, I can detect just the slightest jiggle - enough for a small amount of fuel to get by when under pressure.

Just for chuckles, I pulled up a photo of my engine before my rebuild to see if I could find any evidence of prior leaking. Lo and behold, you can see the exact spot on the top of the right carb. If you look very close, you can see the area has been "washed" clean by gasoline at the fuel inlet. (it was the only clean part on the whole engine by the way :blackeye:).

The fuel must have been seeping out of there all along and that's scary - just enough to be a little wet and evaporate relatively quickly. This explains the gas odor that would linger for an hour or so in the garage after a drive and the garage door closed. I figured all along, this was just the destinctive smell of a Volkswagen - I was wrong to assume that and I can't believe I've never noticed this.

So for the remedy, what would be the best way to secure this nipple in a tight, permanant, and leak-free fashion??

- thankful my bus is not burnt toast -
-'72 Westy-

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:41 am

Blue Loctite - 242
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:52 am

And on TS they show how to safety wire it from the clamp to the body too.
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:11 am

werksberg wrote:And on TS they show how to safety wire it from the clamp to the body too.
No, the hose is not the problem, it is the brass nipple that is part of the actual carb.
midatlanticys wrote:Blue Loctite - 242
Can the brass nipple just be pulled straight out with pliers, loctite applied and brass nipple re-inserted? Those aren't threaded in there are they? In other words, how can one remove the nipple from the carb without damage??
-'72 Westy-

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 am

Are you sure this is a '72? Either you are a contortionist or you are very good at aiming your camera from a distance. I have never been able to get anywhere near that nipple. :flower:
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:48 am

Oregon72 wrote:
werksberg wrote:And on TS they show how to safety wire it from the clamp to the body too.
No, the hose is not the problem, it is the brass nipple that is part of the actual carb.
AFAIK Safety Wiring is to relieve tension on the nipple and help make sure it doesn't pop out. Why would they pressure fit a fuel supply nipple anyway?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 am

Hiya Troy,

The brass nipple will pull out with a little gentle persuasion from Mr. Pliers.

When I rebuild carbs I always slighty "knurl" the mating surface of the brass nipple by rolling it over a file a few times. Then I lightly coat that same surface with JB Quickweld epoxy and tap it into place. I finish the job by doing the safety wire routine mentioned above. Easy to do and this has worked very well for me.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Oregon72 wrote:
midatlanticys wrote:Blue Loctite - 242
. . . Those aren't threaded in there are they?
Sorry, Troy, I just assumed that'd be a threaded barb! Mike's got it right! JB Weld is the call. . . . :blackeye:
Oregon72 wrote: - thankful my bus is not burnt toast -

Man-o-man . . . you're not the only one!!! =D> =D>
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Troy,

The brass nipple will pull out with a little gentle persuasion from Mr. Pliers.

When I rebuild carbs I always slighty "knurl" the mating surface of the brass nipple by rolling it over a file a few times. Then I lightly coat that same surface with JB Quickweld epoxy and tap it into place. I finish the job by doing the safety wire routine mentioned above. Easy to do and this has worked very well for me.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Just knurl or score that brass pipe and hammer it home for a very nice interference fit. Use some JB weld, locktite or some liquid pipe thread sealant if you are worried about any gas leaking around it.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:05 pm

I just did jb weld/knurling thing this morning. Jb weld has a 15 hour curing time, so I'll find out tomorrow if this fixed the leak. Thanks for the tip guys.
-'72 Westy-