Early Bay Bus Bizarre Fuel Gauge

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Early Bay Bus Bizarre Fuel Gauge

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:19 pm

I've noticed a weird pattern in the way my fuel gauge behaves and was wondering if anyone has a clue what might be happening.

I always get $10 worth of gas, this fills the tank to about halfway. For 4 or 5 batches I will get what appears to be 17 miles a gallon. Then after 4-5 $10 batches that normally fill the tank to halfway, a $10 batch will fill the tank to 3/4's and my mileage for this one tank will be much higher....Then the cycle repeats 4-5 batches that only fill it to halfway w/apparently low mileage, and then one that goes to 3/4 with great mileage. My bus really gets 20-21 MPG.
It's like the gauge is going to empty too fast for 4-5 batches and then realizes it's mistake on the 6th and gives me the "missing" gas back....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:30 am

I'm guessing your float has a sticky spot in its travel and hangs up there unless you put a lot more gas in to force it past that point. I'm also guessing that over consecutive fill ups, the amount of total gas in your tank increases after each fill until there is finally enough gas to bump the float free again to read up around 3/4. Don't forget that as the price of gas fluctuates, so does the amount $10 buys! :cyclopsani:

How are you measuring mpg without filling the tank?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you really can't calculate gas mileage the way you are doing it. These crap senders they are selling us only last about 2-3 years before they start going wonky on you. I go through at least 1 tank of gas a week, usually more.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I measured the mileage on a 6000 mile cross country trip....I usually note the mileage & quantity when I put gas in and see how how far I went before I need more.

The theory about the float having a sticky spot makes a lotta sense. I still run the original sending unit.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Danny79
I'm New!

Re: Early Bay Bus Bizarre Fuel Gauge

Post by Danny79 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:42 am

Does the needle on the gauge bounce ? MIne jumps around, then settles, then jumps....I left an access hole to get to the sender, just in case I had to get back in there...replaced the tank due to rust and black oozing tar like stuff in the tank - sat 10 years in Indiana....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Early Bay Bus Bizarre Fuel Gauge

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:11 am

Danny79 wrote:Does the needle on the gauge bounce ? MIne jumps around, then settles, then jumps....I left an access hole to get to the sender, just in case I had to get back in there...replaced the tank due to rust and black oozing tar like stuff in the tank - sat 10 years in Indiana....
Flicking jumpiness of the early guages can be attributed to the wiring much of the time, the wiring at the gauge head. These earlier units use a vibrator that needs clean secure connections.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles