Gas Pedal Sticking

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manfred
Old School!

Gas Pedal Sticking

Post by Manfred » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 pm

So my 1978 bus gas pedal will stick a bit and give me a high idle. I have a new accelerator cable. I assume that its just old and warn and needs some TLC. I know its sticking because when I pull up on the pedal the idle returns to normal.

Where should I start?

Thanks!

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Are you sure it's not just due to cold weather? Sometimes a little water can get in the tube for the accelerator cable and cause it to stick when it freezes. Some folks put a lot of grease on the cable when installing, thinking this will keep the moisture out, and then the grease gets sticky in cold weather too. Your answer will come when the weather warms up.

You should also check to be sure the spring that sits at the pivot of the accelerator pedal is not broken. If it is, the pedal has a hard time coming all the way up. Ice and rust in the pivot can make a difference too.

However, a new cable is cheap and not hard to put in. I would try to spray some WD40 into the cable tube and work the old cable in and out a bunch to see what's in there and what rusty/greasy crud you can get out. I have heard you should just oil rather than grease a new accel. cable because the grease gets stiff in cold temps (see first paragraph).

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:50 am

Oil is all I use. Penetrant in the winter. It revitalizes all the old grease. You still have FI? There is also a return spring from the throttle linkage to a hole on the intake plenum toward the back end of the engine. You can shorten up the spring to give more tension. My bus still does it.Not as bad as yours sounds.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks. I haven't installed the new cable yet. Yes, is have the stock FI system. I'll take a look at both springs and oil the new cable.

Thanks for your help.

Seems like I'll be taking advice about the bus more than I will be giving it for quite sometime.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:38 am

vdubyah73 wrote:There is also a return spring from the throttle linkage to a hole on the intake plenum toward the back end of the engine. You can shorten up the spring to give more tension..
that's what mine ended up being when mine would stick. Shortened it up a bit and now it snaps back nicely.
1979 California Transporter

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:48 am

Check the hinge where the pedal meets the floor also. Mine began to get sticky and that was the problem with mine. Hit with a can of air to get all the sand and dirt out, then a little Tri-Flow teflon spray. Been fine for over a year now.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:59 am

after some recent work where I had pulled the trans and reinstalled, the hole in the firewall where the cable comes through was putting a bit of pressure on it and causing it to hang up a bit.
massaging the firewall back into shape and getting the cable nice and tight/firm did once again fix the stuck pedal issue for me...

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:23 am

Ok. I got a chance to mess with my cable over the past weekend. I increased the tension on the accelerator spring on the engine, which has helped the accelerator pedal action. I also noticed that once warm the engine did, in fact, idle too fast. Must have been up near 2k rpm.

I located the idle speed screw and lowered the idle. It seems to be running great now.

One question, however. The idle screw seemed very easy to move. It might have vibrated loose, causing the fast idle. Is the idle adjustment screw supposed to be that easy to move?

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:49 pm

it should turn pretty easily with a screwdriver, but it shouldn't like wobble around and be able to rotate in/out without human force being applied.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:17 pm

airkooledchris wrote:it should turn pretty easily with a screwdriver, but it shouldn't like wobble around and be able to rotate in/out without human force being applied.
There wasn't any wobble. I just couldn't believe how easily it turned. I felt more like well lubricated, good fitting bearing.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Broken record. Since the warm weather in Chicago, my accelerator cable problem has gotten worse.

I've been driving longer distances at highway speeds and the rpm will jump up between 2k and 3k when I disengage the clutch. When I tap the gas pedal, the rpms will drop, but just to tolerable level.

When i lift the pedal with my hand, the engine will return to normal idle setting.

I removed the pan that covers cable as it comes off the pedal. There seems to be a lot of tension when I pull the cable. I can barely move it. When I move the throttle directly from the engine, it moves freely. I would think if there was some binding it would be difficult to move.

My guess is that the cable is binding due to rust or something is pinching it some where the cable is routing.

I took a luck under the pedal and I didn't see any kind of spring. It seems like the way the cable is routed keeps the pedal up. I have a 78 bay.

I still haven't installed the new cable because I've had so many other things to fix.

Anyone have a clue here? Am I missing the spring? Did the PO reroute the cable because the spring broke.

My biggest fear is the cable will brake while I'm out driving because of all the tension that seems to be on it.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 pm

You need a spring under the pedal. Take a look at this one. It goes between the bottom of the pedal and the floor.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J13009

Replace your accelerator cable soon. It is a pretty easy (15 minute) job and will make you smile.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Manual or Automatic tranny? not much to put in here but there are differnet connections.

When it sticks can you pull it from the engine bay. Same resistance?

Are there any visible binding points?

I think a new cable may resolve but just throwing out idears.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 pm

It's a manual. I didn't track the cable back to the engine. I wasn't in the mood.

Thanks for spring picture. I'll double check and see if there is one there or not.

This is my next project. I hate the throttle sicking thing. It's driving me crazy, wasting gas, and probably wearing out my clutch.

Blurg!!!!!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Clean up and oil the hinged end of the pedal at the floor. Especially if you drive in bad weather. all the wet grit from the bottom of your shoes ends up in the hinge, that's why you read so many posts on how to repair the pedal
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.