Replacing Intake Manifold Boots

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tandemtwins
I'm New!

Replacing Intake Manifold Boots

Post by tandemtwins » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:01 am

Does someone have a link to either a written article or an instructional video that talks about replacing old intake manifold boots with new ones while the engine is still in the car? I've found a few mentions that involve a major tear-down and the boots are just an aside; I want to replace the boots with as little loosening or removing of parts as is possible (dealing with a stock 1600 dual port engine in a VW Beetle). Thanks...

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Replacing Intake Manifold Boots

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:28 am

Hi there,

I did it on a bus years ago, and posted it here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... 46#7058946

I would like to correct a few things I learned since then...

Some cars don’t have the nut in step 3. Do NOT spray oil on the boots, but some aerosol silicone spray may help slide them on. The hose clamps do NOT need to be very tight.

Bugs are harder than buses because there is FAR less room to manipulate tools and parts. I’ve done it, but it can get frustrating if you don’t enjoy physical 3-D Tetris. Swivel sockets/extensions/adapters are borderline mandatory.

Good luck!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tandemtwins
I'm New!

Post by tandemtwins » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks... I will reluctantly take a look! (I keep thinking if I ignore it, it will go away...)

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:06 pm

I replaced them on my Autostick Beetle last summer without removing the engine. It's even more crowded with the ATF filler tube on one side and the control valve and vacuum hoses on the other, but it can be done!

If those boots tear, it's a lean mixture and instant blowtorch heat in your cylinders! Don't ignore them!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen