'76 Beetle High Idle at Cold Start <35F

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JRR
I'm New!

Re: '76 Beetle High Idle at Cold Start <35F

Post by JRR » Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks Colin, that I can do. Would like to get this sorted so I can spend more time with a jealous decel valve.

JRR
I'm New!

Post by JRR » Thu May 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello,

The jealous decel valve split. One of the PO's must have ditched it. Checked the timing, spot on at 30deg full advance and -5deg idle. Indexed my vario-regulator to a close to 4min close.

Risking by inattention my career and family dynamic, I studied this and ratwells site with Talmudic intensity. I then followed every vacuum line and fitting looking for other vacuum errors and omissions. Armed with this insight, I was not surprised when I found the lonely vacuum line to the newly single decel valve gulping fresh air from behind the fan shroud. Also the rest of the vacuum devices were attached to the wrong sides of the throttle body.

Wow, does it idle nicely now. Not even a hint of surge. I still feel it revs too high at start, but I have not put a tach on it. But my reference was a worn out motor with a cheap aftermarket carb that produced eye-wateringly rich exhaust.

Again I appreciate your patience, and I look forward to my next crisis.

Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 pm

JRR wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:13 pm
I look forward to my next crisis.
Jeff
That seems refreshingly mentally healthy ... and the Universe will be sure to deliver one.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles