Gas smell left side of engine

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Gas smell left side of engine

Post by BusBassist » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:04 am

This morning I noticed a gas smell coming from my bus parked in the garage.
I noticed a small amount of gas on the ground under the left side of the bus. I noticed that when I sniffed in the left air vent, the smell was strong but when I did the same on the right side, I did not smell gas.

I climbed under the bus and checked the fuel lines and electric fuel pump and they were dry.

I should also say that I am currently dealing with push rod tube seal oil leak on the left side (but will replace the seals this week) and found the regular amount of oil on the bottom of the engine but today noticed that there seemed to be some gas mixed with the oil on this side.

I took a little piece of paper towel and dabbed it around the push rod tube area under the tin and on the #4 cylinder head and it faintly smelled like gas.

At first I thought the gas smell might be caused by a compromise in the vent line connector under the spare tire, but it checked out to be ok.

I've never heard of gas leaking from the cylinder head but wonder if this might be what's going on.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

tommu
Old School!

Re: Gas smell left side of engine

Post by tommu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 am

When you checked the vent line under the spare tire are you checking number 24?

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Re: Gas smell left side of engine

Post by BusBassist » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes, and it is not leaking. However, I have learned since that the issue is related to the single carb. The float may be stuck or the needle blocked so that gas flooded into the cylinders. I have shut off the fuel line, removed the carb, changed the oil, and am awaiting the arrival of a kit to refurb the carb.
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.