Question: cleaning out the manifold preheat pipe

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Question: cleaning out the manifold preheat pipe

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:04 am

I have discovered my manifold preheat tube or pipe is clogged so I want to clean it out. Any amazing tricks? This is for the single port 1600 on my ghia which has the stock single port manifold with preheat pipe coming off the muffler to heat the intake manifold.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: Question: cleaning out the manifold preheat pipe

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 am

It's frequently said that a piece of steel stranded cable spun in a drill motor, with the business end splayed out a bit, makes for a good reaming tool.
I've found that repeated tapping/banging on the pipe with a big rubber/plastic mallet will cause a steady rain of rust/carbon chips to drop out the ends,
and worked better for me than the cable-reaming technique. Do not be surprised if holes appear in the preheat pipe, as clogged pipes are usually
clogged mostly with rust, and many are rusted nearly all the way through.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:48 am

How clogged is it? With carb cleaner or water dripped in one side over night, will it run out the the other if you leave it propped up accordingly?

If so, you can get lucky cutting up an old clutch cable into 4, 6, 8, 12, and 16" sections and running bits through in a drill. Make sure the drill is on "reverse" as you'l quickly unwind the cable otherwise. Once a cable goes through, mangle the end of it so it grabs more carbon on the next pass.

From there, I usually take mine to the local sandblast shop and have them blast it from each side for a few seconds. Too long and they'll blow a hole in it though, so I usually take a trash manifold with me to have them practice on first.

There is also the oxy-acetelene trick where you fill it with gas and light the torch to blow the chunks out, but I've never seen it done in person…

Good luck!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am

i went through all robbies suggestions except for the sandblasting.
All that and it was still supper clogged, i couldn't get any air through it. I must have spent 3 - 4days working on it.
I ended up having to drill a hole on the side of one of the tubes so i could drill horizontally through the blockage. Brazed it up and all is well.
60 beetle
78 bus

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:35 am

Advice I had with my 2 stroke motorbikes in the UK was to use caustic soda to dissolve the carbon. I never did try it - would that work?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:11 pm

tommu wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:35 am
Advice I had with my 2 stroke motorbikes in the UK was to use caustic soda to dissolve the carbon. I never did try it - would that work?

I would not use caustic soda.It can dissolve the alloy sandwich that holds the heat riser to the intake manifold.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

69doublecab
I'm New!

Post by 69doublecab » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Any more discussion of the oxy-acetlyene method would be appreciated. My guess would be that a VERY large percentage of heat risers on single carb type 1 engines are plugged. It was a normal needed fix clear back in the 1960's.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:04 pm

69doublecab wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:42 pm
Any more discussion of the oxy-acetlyene method would be appreciated. My guess would be that a VERY large percentage of heat risers on single carb type 1 engines are plugged. It was a normal needed fix clear back in the 1960's.
Air flow-through is what allows oxy-acetylene to clean through. A blocked riser dams up the heat at the blockage.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles