Backfire while coasting

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Re: Backfire while coasting

Post by Mulcheese » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:36 am

I have started a new thread on the topic of the terminal end.

I do feel that I have been running a bit lean and have done some AFM adjustments to correct.

I do have a exhaust leak but question. How bad does a leak need to be to create the popping?

Can someone supply a pic of a decent looking plug from a know "perfect" running engine? I understad that plug color is only part of the diagnostics. That is why I brought up the temp issue. Following the last AFM adjustment temps dropped considerably and performance was static so I feel that I am on the right track.

Thanks,
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:45 am

It takes just a whisper of an exhaust leak to create that popping on deceleration.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:34 am

Mulcheese wrote:I have started a new thread on the topic of the terminal end.

I do feel that I have been running a bit lean and have done some AFM adjustments to correct.

I do have a exhaust leak but question. How bad does a leak need to be to create the popping?

Can someone supply a pic of a decent looking plug from a know "perfect" running engine? I understad that plug color is only part of the diagnostics. That is why I brought up the temp issue. Following the last AFM adjustment temps dropped considerably and performance was static so I feel that I am on the right track.

Thanks,
Here is Chloe's Death Valley 2013 spark plug portrait:

These would be too lean if it was just driving around town or even on the highway, but these plugs had just been through some serious ambient heat. There should be no white on the ground electrode. The ring at the bottom of the threads should be black. The insulator should have a touch of brown maybe white near the center electrode. Hot plugs have the insulator sticking out from the bottom of the threads, cold plugs have the insulator nestled within, like those in the photograph.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:21 am

The following were after jetting with an LM-2 wide-band for WOT 12.8-13 or so and cruise at low-mid 13's (where a bus is happy CHT wise). You want to stay out of the 'Death zone' with these engines (14.7) when WOT and cruise. A bus can weigh easily 2.5 tons fully loaded. Combine that with it's aerodynamics and running stoich = High CHT's

NGK B5ES plugs
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1201652.jpg

Piston engine power management chart:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1463782.jpg
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's