34 PICT 3 leak

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: 34 PICT 3 leak

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:07 pm

After heat soaking for a while after a long drive in hot weather, the 34PICT3 in my Beetle always leaks fuel into the intake requiring lots of cranking and full throttle to restart the engine. I've checked the needle valve and float level, and installed a fuel pressure regulator, but there seems to be no cure.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:13 am

vwlover77 wrote:After heat soaking for a while after a long drive in hot weather, the 34PICT3 in my Beetle always leaks fuel into the intake requiring lots of cranking and full throttle to restart the engine. I've checked the needle valve and float level, and installed a fuel pressure regulator, but there seems to be no cure.
We have discussed this, but I can't remember where . . . Fuel Delivery Forum?

Anyways, the factory fuel pumps had a cut-off valve that prevented this heat soak fuel expansion pressure increase. I have battled exactly the same thing with Chloe's junky Barzilian pump, and have a used Pierburg factory-issue fuel pump that shall get rebuilt and installed.

I think it was in 1971 and later buses and beetles that had some crazy bypass/cut-off dangling off the pump:

How can I make this information stick?
How can we obtain these factory solutions, install, and show the world that they work?
ColinHowCanIDryMySocks?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:08 am

Huh there sure was some weird hardware in the 70s....
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat