NOS Z-Bed install

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

NOS Z-Bed install

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 am

This is to document what comes with the Z-Bed kit, as well as the install process to install this setup into a late bay.

Packaging:

The box itself, marked from Z-Products with stamp and label/invoice.
ImageImage

The directions:

In the kit:

This is the only shot I have with the mattress that was also sold by Z-Products for this setup:

Installation, Step 1:

Installation Step 2:

Drill out rivet head in swivel bracket to remove it, then cut and smooth out the tab that remains
ImageImage
ImageImage

Installation Step 3:
(8 in the printed directions, as there are a number I can skip while installing into a 79 bay)

Punch small hole in bottom plates, then fasten with #10 screw. Be sure to push the unit tight into the corner before marking your spot to punch. Make sure the plates are lined up with the grooves in the floor, so all of the screw holes line up in the center of each raised floor section. Install remaining screws in the floor plates.
ImageImage

Installation Step 4:
Drill two 1/4" inch holes in each fender well, for remaining bracket. Insert 1/4" x 1" bolts from the outside, place stops over the bolts and secure with lock washer and nut.
ImageImage

Installation Step 5:
Install the brackets on the rear bench back rest. Flip the plates up and attach the tops to the brackets first.

Attach both sides, then rotate it down so you can attach the brackets on the bottom side.

Installation Step 6:
Place bottom of rear bench seat in the cradles, then fasten with provided clamps. Attach the middle seat extensions to middle seat, then bolt to floor using stock fasteners.

Note that for the middle seat, you will have to grind down the little nuts on two of the brackets, as two of them will not line up with the holes on the seat extension pieces.

So, what does it look like installed?

It's a tight fit, but you can extend the back seat all the way out even with the middle seat still in place.

Im just under 6'3, and this is still a little too short for me to lay out straight - bump my head on either the rear hatch or the back of the middle seat. This is for the rest of the fam though as I sleep with the other hairy stinky family member - in the tent.

Afterthoughts:

Even the NOS kit was missing a few screws and clamps. Plan driving route to nearest hardware store on install weekend. Ill try to scan and upload the parts list part of the manual and link to it here.
This kit is for a lot of different models, so don't fret if a lot of it doesn't apply to your setup. From the directions, I think the late bay is the simplest install to do.
Give yourself a lot of extra time, not because the install process itself will take ALL that long, but because you'll end up wanting to 're-do' a lot of other shit along the way.
If you decide your going to keep it setup like this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just weld that middle seat extension bracket in place all the time rather than use the clamps.

I have a little baggie full of parts I didn't need for installing into a late bay. These will be for sale shortly.
1979 California Transporter