Slider door and rear hatch lock trouble - 75 Bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Slider door and rear hatch lock trouble - 75 Bus

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:48 am

Re-keying the front door locks was really easy so I didn't expect to have any trouble doing the same to the slider door and rear hatch locks on my 1975 bus. The problem is figuring out how to remove the barrel to get at the brass wafers. The door handles had one Philips screw holding the barrel, but I see no screws holding these barrels. I've read that there is set screw but I don't see it.

This is the slider lock looking at it from the back. There was a little tension spring and a finger that I removed.

My best guess is that I need to remove this chrome cover to get at the barrel. But should I? How would I ever remove it without mutilating it, and if I was able to remove it how would I ever secure it back on as well as it is now?

This is the rear hatch lock. Do you see that little silver tab? That is attached to a ring that I believe holds the barrel in place. The problem is that the ring is held in place by stiff rubber from the housing. You can see it better here.

I've tried to gingerly lift up on that tab with a small screwdriver but I end up bending the tab and not really moving the ring. I wonder if I'm going about it right way or if I should resign myself to the fact that my bus requires two keys to service all of its locks. Any tips?

1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Slider door and rear hatch lock trouble - 75 Bus

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:19 pm

BellePlaine wrote:The problem is figuring out how to remove the barrel to get at the brass wafers.
You have the key inserted as you attempt to remove the barrel from the lock cylinders?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 pm

I tried inserting the key to remove the barrel and it still won't come out. I tried both the hatch and the slider locks. On the slider, I'm sure that I need to remove that chrome cover to get at it. I'm just kind of disappointed that the cover is crimped on and I'm skeptical that I'll be able to re-crimp it as well as VW. I've tried a tiny screw driver and a small-ish nail to try prying the cover but their isn't a lot of space between the cover and the housing to get a good bite. I need something very strong and very skinny and pointy.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:38 am

BellePlaine wrote:I tried inserting the key to remove the barrel and it still won't come out. I tried both the hatch and the slider locks. On the slider, I'm sure that I need to remove that chrome cover to get at it. I'm just kind of disappointed that the cover is crimped on and I'm skeptical that I'll be able to re-crimp it as well as VW. I've tried a tiny screw driver and a small-ish nail to try prying the cover but their isn't a lot of space between the cover and the housing to get a good bite. I need something very strong and very skinny and pointy.
When I did the BobD, the whole key + tumblers came out after removing the actuator-held-on-with-a-phillips-screw from the backside. The key had to be in the "unlock" position.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles