Ladder? - adventurewaggin

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Ladder? - adventurewaggin

Post by grandfatherjim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Our Adventurewaggin's roofline steps down about 2/3 of the way back, leaving a nice about 30 x 30" cargo area up there. It's a pain to access, but is a useful space (as is any space when camping).
I can sort of reach the back end of it poorly by standing on the bumper, but being a 72, the bumper doesn't have too much flat area. And it isn't high enough anyway.
What do you all do? This must be a problem for Westies too.
So thinking of all variations of ladders etc, and nothing is working for me. I don't want to be climbing up and put my toe through a taillight lens, and putting one up the back runs into a hassle with opening the rear door and engine hatch yada yada
Solutions?
Jim

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Ladder? - adventurewaggin

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 pm

grandfatherjim wrote:thinking of all variations of ladders yada yada
Solutions?
Jim
Fashion a gutter hanger ladder (gutter is good for a couple of hundred pounds) with bottom rubber soles that press against the engine apron. That would make it easily removeable. Now, where to store the ladder when you are done? How about a hanger under the floor that allows the curved gutter/feet ends to go up against the floor? Heck, four bungee cords between frame rails will hold a ladder under there with redundancy.

Perhaps a nice hydraulic tailgate lift?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Ladder? - adventurewaggin

Post by sped372 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:46 am

grandfatherjim wrote:Our Adventurewaggin's roofline steps down about 2/3 of the way back, leaving a nice about 30 x 30" cargo area up there. It's a pain to access, but is a useful space (as is any space when camping).
I can sort of reach the back end of it poorly by standing on the bumper, but being a 72, the bumper doesn't have too much flat area. And it isn't high enough anyway.
What do you all do? This must be a problem for Westies too.
So thinking of all variations of ladders etc, and nothing is working for me. I don't want to be climbing up and put my toe through a taillight lens, and putting one up the back runs into a hassle with opening the rear door and engine hatch yada yada
Solutions?
Jim
You get to the Westy roof racks from the inside of the bus... with the top popped and the window unzipped. Since you're standing in the bus you already have a step up compared to outside. I guess it's a bit of a compromise since you have to pop it up but in my mind it's better than carrying another piece of equipment. Sorry it doesn't really help your situation though.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 am

Adventure Wagon is a hightop. I'd go with the gutter ladder like Colin suggested.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:37 am

Or a small trampoline.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:35 pm

1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.