Bus Depot Front Door Seal Kit

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Bus Depot Front Door Seal Kit

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:13 pm

I want to replace all of the door rubber, especially the window scrapers on my 75 bus next spring. I know that not all rubber seals fit properly. What do you guys make of these kits?

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=82000GR
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=82001GR
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Hiya Chris,

Were it me (and it has been in the past) I'd call Ron up and discuss the issue with him. When I was buying seals for the Duck a few years back it was Ron who gave me an education concerning seals (specifically we were talking about front door seals), OEM, Brazillian Aftermarket, West Coast Metric, fit, durability, and the list goes on.................and on. Ron really does know his stuff in this area.

The upshoot in my case was that I bought VW/Brasil seals and I have been very happy with them. Your mileage may vary but I would definitely recommend using Ron as a resource for this kinda info.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

chuxbus
I'm New!

Post by chuxbus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:58 am

The chrome trim with the outer scraper tends to get bent up in shipping... at least the ones I got 8 years ago were.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:30 pm

chuxbus wrote:The chrome trim with the outer scraper tends to get bent up in shipping... at least the ones I got 8 years ago were.
Yep. Demand double boxing for sure, but also ask that they carefully tape the outer scraper perimeter to the cardboard, and you even have to specify to please wrap it in old newspaper so as to prevent the adhesive from touching the brightwork and
"yes . . . . . . yes . . . . . . I know . . . . . . yes, wait . . . . . . yes, what I was goi . . . . . . what I was going to s . . . . . wait yes I know . . . . . . yes, what I was going to say was that if you tape the outer scraper to the cardboard and the adhesive gets all too adhesive-y, then the scraper gets damaged when you try to rescue the scraper from the stupid adhesive so please just wrap the scraper in old newspaper before you secure it to the cardboard . . . . . . What? You want me to come out there and do it my damn self?
Well, ye . . . . . . wai, . . . . . . no really, I wouldn't need to wrap it up for shipping if I was there, now would I?"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chuxbus
I'm New!

Post by chuxbus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:07 am

I'm thinking the scraper trim is something that should be purchased through the local dealer's parts counter... at least you could inspect it before taking it home, though they might require a pre-payment.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Re: Bus Depot Front Door Seal Kit

Post by Boxcar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 am

How did your VW Brasil door gasket refresh turn out.?
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Boxcar wrote:How did your VW Brasil door gasket refresh turn out.?
Who are you talking to, Bookwus? Sadly, he is no longer with us:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... us#p167305

However, I can answer you on those Brazilian seals that I tore off his bus. They were no good.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:09 pm

thank you, Colin.
Brazil NG.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler