Removing Baywindow Windshield without Breakage?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Removing Baywindow Windshield without Breakage?

Post by bretski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 am

Is this possible to do with a reasonable probability of success (without cutting the seal)? I've heard rumors that it can be done, but can't find any specific instructions...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Removing Baywindow Windshield without Breakage?

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:52 pm

bretski wrote:Is this possible to do with a reasonable probability of success (without cutting the seal)? I've heard rumors that it can be done, but can't find any specific instructions...
Yes. Gently peel the seal free of the interior lip along the top and sides with your fingers and squirt vinyl conditioner in the gap you create. Then, with a good deep understanding and sensitive physical presence, start pushing the windshield out from the top keeping the radius of the glass intact. That means, if you push out a half inch at the corner, it must a push of a 1/4 inch along the glass towards the center. Try to keep the curves intact. Apply force to as much surface area as you can . . . keeping the radius of the glass intact. If there are pits or chips, all bets are off.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Thank you, CK...I'll give it a whirl. Though, I guess all bets are off, since I have a rock chip in the upper-center. :blackeye:

As a back-up, I got a quote from a local glass installer. $194 + tax installed for a PPG tinted replacement ($198 for non-tinted).

I'll report back when I attempt the removal (next weekend)...

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Cut the seal. It's far cheaper to replace than the glass is.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Vdubtech wrote:Cut the seal. It's far cheaper to replace than the glass is.
I was going to say, 30 buck seal or a 200 buck windshield...

If you do get new glass you will need to provide the seal.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:42 pm

You're both probably right, but I showed the rock chip to the glass repair folks this afternoon, and they said that the glass needs to be replaced. There are 2 cracks radiating from the rock impact, and they said they will cause the glass to crack further if a repair is attempted. So, this will be good practice, either way.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:51 pm

bretski wrote:You're both probably right, but I showed the rock chip to the glass repair folks this afternoon, and they said that the glass needs to be replaced. There are 2 cracks radiating from the rock impact, and they said they will cause the glass to crack further if a repair is attempted. So, this will be good practice, either way.
I've had to replace the glass on every bus I've acquired. Get a good seal. I've also notice that the curve isn't' quite right on the new glass, even on the ppg glass I've gotten, had to seal that sucker with roofing cement!

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:54 am

Yuck. I hate to have to replace my windshield, but it looks like I have no choice. The folks at the glass shop said they could get another brand besides PPG (maybe Safelite?). I don't care as long as it fits properly, but I've read about many problems like yours, Chitwn...

I'm using this "opportunity" to do needed repairs on the lips, as well. Both the front and rear need repair. The rear is worse, as it has been leaking over the winter.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 am

I have one ppg and one another brand and they both have same shape problem. Water gets in at the top corner, flows down and around and wherever the two streams meet, it comes pouring into the bus at the bottom.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:34 am

I have to replace mine too, it needs repair underneath also, which is delaying my replacement. I was going to try and reuse my exisitng seal, but I do need one as a backup.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue May 04, 2010 6:42 am

I just replaced mine in Feb with a old stock PPG and new seal, no leaks in the pouring Seattle rain. Its a bitch to get the seal and glass in right, took two of us moving the seal, pushing lightly on the glass etc.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 am

Bleyseng wrote:I just replaced mine in Feb with a old stock PPG and new seal, no leaks in the pouring Seattle rain.
Looks like this is my best bet (old stock). I've been doing a lot of looking and asking questions about this topic.

PPG outsources their glass production to PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works). Although PGW's website indicates US factories, apparently they in turn outsource to China. *blah*

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:26 am

bretski wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:I just replaced mine in Feb with a old stock PPG and new seal, no leaks in the pouring Seattle rain.
Looks like this is my best bet (old stock). I've been doing a lot of looking and asking questions about this topic.

PPG outsources their glass production to PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works). Although PGW's website indicates US factories, apparently they in turn outsource to China. *blah*
Bretski, did you ever replace this glass? I am wanting to do mine but have to have a fix lined up for my windshield lip when mu old one is out.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Removing the windshield: Just cut the seal on the inside (a sharpened putty knife worked great). Gentle push out and you are done. I did mine solo.
New windshield: mine was ?? brand made in China. Had the pros install it, it took them about an hour nudging and sliding the glass. They had some really cool specialty suction cups. No leaks whatsoever.
Lip: mine was pretty bad. I used POR15 and fiberglass cloth to reconstruct. If worked, seals well, and did not require welding. (I do not know how to weld.)

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Highlander wrote:Removing the windshield: Just cut the seal on the inside (a sharpened putty knife worked great). Gentle push out and you are done. I did mine solo.
New windshield: mine was ?? brand made in China. Had the pros install it, it took them about an hour nudging and sliding the glass. They had some really cool specialty suction cups. No leaks whatsoever.
Lip: mine was pretty bad. I used POR15 and fiberglass cloth to reconstruct. If worked, seals well, and did not require welding. (I do not know how to weld.)
I had read the fiberglass is a water sponge ans makes a bad patch anywhere it touches metal. Otherwise I would have done that months ago. I am all for the pro's putting it it, if I broke a new windshield I would go postal in my town.