Removing Baywindow Windshield without Breakage?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:32 pm

The POR really encapsulates it though. It's "permanent" seemingly. My battery tray is out in the rain right now, quietly laughing.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 pm

I would think if you apply the fiberglass using the por-15 instead of resin, it will be just fine.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 am

Sylvester wrote: I had read the fiberglass is a water sponge and makes a bad patch anywhere it touches metal. Otherwise I would have done that months ago. I am all for the pro's putting it it, if I broke a new windshield I would go postal in my town.
Fiberglass insulation can hold water. Fiberglass cloth with the POR15 has held to the steel for a year now. POR is amazing stuff.
If a pro installer breaks their windshield while installing it, you get a new one. Self installing - to me - is a false economy. New windshield, new seal, professional installation. Pay once.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:44 am

Highlander wrote:
Sylvester wrote: I had read the fiberglass is a water sponge and makes a bad patch anywhere it touches metal. Otherwise I would have done that months ago. I am all for the pro's putting it it, if I broke a new windshield I would go postal in my town.
Fiberglass insulation can hold water. Fiberglass cloth with the POR15 has held to the steel for a year now. POR is amazing stuff.
If a pro installer breaks their windshield while installing it, you get a new one. Self installing - to me - is a false economy. New windshield, new seal, professional installation. Pay once.
Do you have any pictures of the job you did? I think I will got that route also. Then have pro install when I buy it the windshield. Had I known this reply worked I would have done it months ago!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Sylvester wrote: Bretski, did you ever replace this glass? I am wanting to do mine but have to have a fix lined up for my windshield lip when mu old one is out.
Not yet. My crack worsened, creeping to the top of the windshield. I'm now very sceeeeeered to touch it lest the entire windshield crumble in my hands...

It's still on my to do list, and I intend to get to it sometime in the near future :king: I plan to use Masterseries over whatever pits I find, as it works much better for that application than POR15.

On a related note, in reference to the question of fiberglass encasement: Masterseries is great for that. I did a patch behind the passenger wheel well 4 years ago, and it's still hard as a rock.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:22 pm

bretski wrote:
Sylvester wrote: Bretski, did you ever replace this glass? I am wanting to do mine but have to have a fix lined up for my windshield lip when mu old one is out.
Not yet. My crack worsened, creeping to the top of the windshield. I'm now very sceeeeeered to touch it lest the entire windshield crumble in my hands...

It's still on my to do list, and I intend to get to it sometime in the near future :king: I plan to use Masterseries over whatever pits I find, as it works much better for that application than POR15.

On a related note, in reference to the question of fiberglass encasement: Masterseries is great for that. I did a patch behind the passenger wheel well 4 years ago, and it's still hard as a rock.
What is this "Masterseries"?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Sylvester wrote:
What is this "Masterseries"?
This stuff:
http://www.masterseriesct.com/

It's distributed by a VW enthusiast (Chuck is his name, if I recall correctly).

The corporate website is:
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/

Price is the same either place, so I've always purchased from Chuck, since he has an affinity for ACVWs :) The "silver" is the product you want for this application. It has several advantages over POR15:

1) Price - much less expensive
2) Preparation - You don't have to go through nearly as much prep as is necessary with POR15. Just remove as much loose scale and rust as is practical, and apply. Use 2 coats for best results.
3) UV Stability. This a a huge benefit if you are mitigating rust, and won't be topcoating immediately.
4) Fills small pitted areas better. It has some metal content to it, and fills better in my experience.

I've tried most every rust-encapsulating product out there, and the Masterseries products are the ones that have performed best for me.

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:30 pm

bretski wrote:1) Price - much less expensive
2) Preparation - You don't have to go through nearly as much prep as is necessary with POR15. Just remove as much loose scale and rust as is practical, and apply. Use 2 coats for best results.
3) UV Stability. This a a huge benefit if you are mitigating rust, and won't be topcoating immediately.
4) Fills small pitted areas better. It has some metal content to it, and fills better in my experience.
So fiberglass and this stuff will do the trick?

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Masterseries works as well if not better than POR. The body supply shop I went to was out of Masterseries and so I ended up with POR. I am a long long way from home right now so I will try to post pictures as soon as I can.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Sylvester wrote:[
So fiberglass and this stuff will do the trick?
Yessir.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:56 am

Hmmm. Mine (PPG replacement with new seal) doesn't leak, but it cracked after a couple years at the top, passenger side from the stress of being curved wrong.

I wonder would this stuff work to build up that corner of the windshield flame to fix the curve issue? Would it be enough to take tension off the glass?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:43 am

Mine pulled the seal out about an 1/8th of an inch. I jammed some roofing tar in the gap and that has stopped the leaking.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 am

Thats a good idea. The tar stays flexible in the winter/summer expansion and contraction.
My windshield would be original if I hadn't had a tantrum and thrown an engine mount at it.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 am

Hippie wrote:Thats a good idea. The tar stays flexible in the winter/summer expansion and contraction.
My windshield would be original if I hadn't had a tantrum and thrown an engine mount at it.
Mine was a Home Depot ladder that the employee helping me pushed a little too hard. I will be doing this in January or February, and will take pictures as I go. If the rust is too much under the seal, you may see a shot of me crying like Bluto with the broken Jack Daniels bottle.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Dang, Sly. That's a pisser...when you can't get the same grade replacement parts.