Slider getting critical

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Slider getting critical

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:28 pm

So, trying to close the slider, the bottom wheelie/guide post thingamajig came out of the track and jammed real real good, 6 inches from shutting all the way.

After applying a bit of persuasion with a heavy rubber mallet, I was able to pop it back into it's track and get it closed. I think I need to replace something. Lately it's been sagging to the point it needs to be lifted a touch to latch.

I should probably invest in a new seal while I'm at it. Time and money.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:53 pm

It's not hard to get the door off the track. You should do that and inspect the hinge mechanism. You need something big to set the door on while it's 1/2 off, but it's easy. There is a small square opening 1/2 way across the upper track that allows the hinge to slide outwards, perpendicular from the body.
Some replacement parts are available. Maybe your nylon slider is shot?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm

More new territory. I think everything is shot on that door except for the door. Hopefully I'll have a chance to give it a good assessment tomorrow.

neal

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm

yep, if the nylon slider goes then the door can come out of the track. The lower bearing wear out too allowing the top to fall out. Once you have all the right pieces in good shape careful adjustment makes the door fit and close without much effort. Having the SLAM the door is a sign it needs work.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:41 am

So having to apply a rubber mallet is right out.

Dang.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Swapped out the slider door today. Everything went well except for getting the back molding thing off. Rust gripped the back screw and with the vicegrips I was able to break the head off. The little pressure strip thing wasn't budging, so again with the rubber mallet.

But wow, slides and glides rather than grinds and binds. The bottom running wheel was gone gone gone on the old door.

neal

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 am

If you keep the dirt and grime out of the lower track the slider rollers last a long time. Did you get it aligned? Pretty easy to do.

=D>
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:59 pm

I had to lower the strike plate a bit, otherwise it seems fine. I also had to bend out a section of the track that bent in from the application of the rubber mallet.

Not being able to open the slider is a major pita. Now onto the roof rack and getting my shelf back in. I had to take it out to replace a broken post on the back door that snapped. That was a much more difficult task than replacing the slider door.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 pm

ruckman101 wrote:a broken post on the back door that snapped.
The door hinge arm, with all that lever junk that you have to get the torsion bars around?
Colin Post?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Yep, a few months ago, the pin wore through and the top half of the hinge on the closet side slammed to the roof with those incredibly stiff torsion bars, and blocked the other half still on the door from closing. It hung open a couple feet and wouldn't close any further.

You'd think it would be simple enough, pull the thing down so that the holes line up and slip a bolt through it. HAH! Close quarters and maddeningly uncooperative torsion bars. I finagled and finagled and finally rigged two chunks of chain with a turnbuckle in the middle, from the open closet door to a short post still on the hinge half, and tediously turnbuckled it away from the roof until I could slip a replacement bolt in place.

If there was an easier way, and I would think there would be, it eluded my mental capacity.

neal