78 westy body work

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

78 westy body work

Post by metric Cwrench » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:28 pm

now that i'm tearing into the old nasty body panels of my bus, i thought i'd better post up a bit on how and what i'm doing. first, i have zero welding experience, but i have a friend who is willing and able to teach me (and help in the process). she has 135,000mi on the odo, but she had a tow-bar affixed to the front bumper so not all of that is actual engine work. she's been garaged or in a barn for nearly 20yr of her life, good for the body (except for the mouse condos built in every possible space). here's the left side of the bus as it was when i got her in my garage-

doesn't look so bad, unless you look up close (or if you've seen such things before and know what the cancer has been up to).

left front of rocker panel, just behind front wheel well

middle front and rear of rocker panel

rear of rocker, front section of rear wheel arch panel

rear wheel arch metal, foreward of the well

"i knew that topless lady
had something up her sleeve"
-john prine

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 pm

after outer panel cut away pics, fore, top and rear:

-john prine

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Looks like you cut out more good metal than you needed to. Generally it's best to use as little of the patch panel as possible. Just need to cut back to good metal you can weld to....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Nice to see the inner construction of that area in front of the rear wheel, that area is always a rust problem area.

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:03 am

when i was exploring the panels, before i ordered the full rear wheel arches, i saw rust in spots that i'd never get to without having the panel off, and also saw the weatherstrip stuff at the edge of the well inside metal (not a good spot to be welding). i'll consult my friend and see about using less of the replacement panels for the other spots.

i think all the good metal i cut off is going to find its way back onto the bus, in the form of patches here and there. i already have several in mind. patches could come from original bus metal or from the panel- it doesn't matter. we'll see what will work best in my case.

rust catalyzer has had it's day to dry out, putting on the chassis saver this afternoon.
-john prine