70% Window Tint (CA Law)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

70% Window Tint (CA Law)

Post by Sluggo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 am

Anyone know where to get 70% window tint? Tint laws in CA say that the front windows need to be at 70% or better. I can't find anything more than 50% anywhere! eBay, Craigslist, Google. Just factory glass. Anyone know any good sources?

Here's the site with all the US tint laws
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

And CA laws
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

covelo
Old School!

Re: 70% Window Tint (CA Law)

Post by covelo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Sluggo wrote:Anyone know where to get 70% window tint? Tint laws in CA say that the front windows need to be at 70% or better. I can't find anything more than 50% anywhere! eBay, Craigslist, Google. Just factory glass. Anyone know any good sources?

Here's the site with all the US tint laws
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

And CA laws
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
In my experience, the police don't really care. I have 50% on my Prius and the shop where I had it done (a very reputable one) said that it would be hard for them to notice the difference between 50 and 70. What helps is to make the rear windows a shade darker (I think mine are 30) so that any suspicious police officer can see that you tried to make yourself more visible in the front.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:18 pm

In Texas it has been my experience that checking tinting has been a way to profile younger folk and have had friends/acquaintances who were pulled over for it---->bullshit excuse 99 to harass someone...

Here the rear window can have limo tint (which I think might be the 70%) but the front passenger/driver windows and the stripe across the front windshield have to be much lighter by law. The driver's window has to have a sticker stipulating the percentage of light allowed in affixed between the tint and window glass. There are medical exclusions but that's another sticker/cert.

As for where you get it? I usually go to a place that specifically does window tinting or a custom audio shop because they usually have someone on hand who does that also.

*slight thread drift* Jeffrey refuses to tint any windows of Phred's because he does not like the way it looks. With the exception of the Caliber, I have always had my windows tinted and when I checked that tint did keep the internal temp of my vehicle somewhat cooler. As far as I am concerned in this heat it is a MUST DO and I will tint the windows of whatever vehicle I end up with.[/thread drift]
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:49 pm

In CA all the other windows can be as dark as you want. 5% is limo. But here you can black out all the way around except the front.

I'll be going 35% all around so I could probably get away with 50% up front. I'll check some pro shops and see if they can do 75%.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:31 pm

35% all the way around just looks like it came from the factory that way.

i had that on my 94 passat wagon and never had any trouble.

like others have said, as long as your not putting limo tint on your super noisy mid-90's civic, your probably aiiight. (though I still wouldn't do limo on the front in CA)
1979 California Transporter