Ritter
IAC Addict!

Let the (pop top) madness begin

Post by Ritter » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:11 pm

What I started with (a little grungy and worn):
[albumimg]2500[/albumimg]

Hmm.... Something's missing.
[albumimg]2495[/albumimg]

Pulled the top bunk and headbanger to make access easier.

Looking like a lil' white trash in the hood (nice tarp):
[albumimg]2498[/albumimg]

They look funny with no top:
[albumimg]2496[/albumimg]

The mad sander (glad it was 90* today...):
[albumimg]2499[/albumimg]

The goods:
[albumimg]2502[/albumimg]

New vs. old
[albumimg]2501[/albumimg]

More to come.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Let the (pop top) madness begin

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Ritter wrote: They look funny with no top:
More to come.
Hey, my bus don't got no top. You calling my bus "funny"?

Have fun, that is satisfying work when you can see the results from the living room window.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Nice. Just looking at that picture and thinking about the Westy setup (never owned one), that doesn't look too bad. I once stripped the boot and fixtures out of a bay ASI/Riviera and put it into another. It was a nightmare, even with two people doing it.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:02 pm

I managed to find the hardware to attach the top to the hinges, etc. in stainless at West Marine. No metric, but it should be close enough. What a pain in the ass that was.

Got the top removed Saturday and the interior fuzz cleaned up. I got it all sanded down and a coat of primer on Sunday. Hope to get two coats of paint on Thursday and Friday nights with reinstall this weekend. Dry time to sand is 12 hours, so it's a several day painting project. I need to address a few rust/bare metal spots on the roof prior to reattachment as well.

Then comes the new canvas... :bounce:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Lookin good man.
Just watchurself with those "lookin' funny" comments.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:32 pm

hambone wrote: Just watchurself with those "lookin' funny" comments.
But you guys don't have a big gaping hole in the roof like I do. :blackeye:

I figured having the top off for a week or more would surely bring the rain clouds. No such luck.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Ritter,
What canvas are you going to put on? I am in need of new canvas too and have been looking for someone close in proximity who has done this to lend a hand whenever I get around to mine. Maybe I can talk you into a trip to Sonoma for a day of more fun with my canvas. Let us know how you like the new canvas and nice photos. It's always nice to see the process.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:57 pm

tractoman wrote:Ritter,
What canvas are you going to put on? I am in need of new canvas too and have been looking for someone close in proximity who has done this to lend a hand whenever I get around to mine. Maybe I can talk you into a trip to Sonoma for a day of more fun with my canvas. Let us know how you like the new canvas and nice photos. It's always nice to see the process.
Gowesty.com has a selection. Never used them, but they seem alright.

Cip1 sells 'em: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 16-231-702

Wolfsburg West: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 231069708Y I've dealt with WW many times, great bunch of people.

An article on the WW installation: http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0404vwt ... index.html

PLFVW used to sell them, and I heard that they were good quality, but the frustration of doing business with them makes it not worth the hassle. A wise man once said, "Buy a sewing machine and teach yourself to sew. It's probably quicker and less stressful." Besides, I took a look at their site a few seconds ago and not only does it appear to be inactive, it tripped my virus protection software -- appears to be trying to throw a trojan at me. So to hell with PLFVW - nice concept, miserable execution.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:09 pm

tractoman wrote:Ritter,
I went with the one Russellk got from Bus Depot, as described in this thread:
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... ght=canvas

I'd be happy to help. I plan to put the top back on prior to trying to do the canvas. I don't see how you'd ever get it on right with the top off.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Ritter wrote:I'd be happy to help. I plan to put the top back on prior to trying to do the canvas. I don't see how you'd ever get it on right with the top off.
Measure. Every how to I've ever seen for replacing the canvas says to do it with the top off. I don't see how having the top installed will make it any easier, especially with all of the staples you have to put in. I'll be doing this job pretty soon on my '79 using a canvas I got from BusDepot.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:06 pm

My roof hole is so gaping that the pigeons flew out long ago, to be replaced by a colony of bats, Virginia-true.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:21 pm

I just did the canvas replacement and a lot of the other stuff you are doing. You have the top off already, definitely staple that canvas in when you have it off the bus - this is the only one i've ever done, but I have to believe it has to be soooo much harder with the top on. Vdubtech is correct - measure, measure, measure. Use your old shabby canvas for reference.

viewtopic.php?t=5530&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

Here's a bunch of pics -some helpful some not.

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr28 ... placement/
-'72 Westy-

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 am

Oregon72 wrote:measure, measure, measure. Use your old shabby canvas for reference.
Uh, problem being the top is off, the old canvas is in the trash (yard waste bin--it's cotton after all) and the painting has begun... :blackeye:

I've seen several threads where the canvas has been installed with the top on (including the one referenced above started by Russell). The issue is there is a beading that goes on the bottom inside of the metal strip that helps keep the canvas from pulling out. There is no way I'd get it measured up correctly without some trial and error fitting with both components (bus body and top) where they will ultimately end up. Plus, there's the easy way, the hard way and my way.

Life's an adventure. Why make it easier on yourself?! :cheers:

By the way Troy, nice looking bus. You're thread is one of the ones that inspired the madness that currently possesses me.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 am

I need to do the same thing to my fiberglass top. Waiting for updates.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Ritter wrote:
Oregon72 wrote:measure, measure, measure. Use your old shabby canvas for reference.
Uh, problem being the top is off, the old canvas is in the trash (yard waste bin--it's cotton after all) and the painting has begun... :blackeye:

I've seen several threads where the canvas has been installed with the top on (including the one referenced above started by Russell). The issue is there is a beading that goes on the bottom inside of the metal strip that helps keep the canvas from pulling out. There is no way I'd get it measured up correctly without some trial and error fitting with both components (bus body and top) where they will ultimately end up. Plus, there's the easy way, the hard way and my way.

Life's an adventure. Why make it easier on yourself?! :cheers:

By the way Troy, nice looking bus. You're thread is one of the ones that inspired the madness that currently possesses me.
You will do awesome either way! I suppose there are advantages to both methods. I have to say I was a bit worried when I did my first test extending the supports fully - thought I might hear a horrible ripping sound - kinda like blowing the ass out of your jeans while doing power squats 8-[ . You're gonna love it when you're done.
-'72 Westy-