Type 2 Part 1 fix windshield advice

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

splittythe66
I'm New!

Type 2 Part 1 fix windshield advice

Post by splittythe66 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:51 pm

Part 1 meaning: This is the first thing I'm going to attempt as part of the long road of taking care of my (first) bus (66 deluxe) :cheers: .

Advice is appreciated....

I'm going to replace the rubber on both sides to stop the water from meandering in and around/down the dash and also one of the windshields because it has an irrepairable chip/hole. Any tips/ tricks on removal and install? The rubber has just arrived. :bounce:

I'd also like to clean up the rust that's formed behind the existing rubber. I'm tempted to wire wheel the rust and try POR15 before replacing the rubber & windows. Any good stories/ bad stories/ don't fill in that hole because it's really a drain hole warning type stories?

Also, is there some kind of glue/caulk to put around the frame and/or window when reassembling everything or does it all snap together neat and clean?

THANKS!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Type 2 Part 1 fix windshield advice

Post by Sylvester » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:15 am

splittythe66 wrote:Part 1 meaning: This is the first thing I'm going to attempt as part of the long road of taking care of my (first) bus (66 deluxe) :cheers: .

Advice is appreciated....

I'm going to replace the rubber on both sides to stop the water from meandering in and around/down the dash and also one of the windshields because it has an irrepairable chip/hole. Any tips/ tricks on removal and install? The rubber has just arrived. :bounce:

I'd also like to clean up the rust that's formed behind the existing rubber. I'm tempted to wire wheel the rust and try POR15 before replacing the rubber & windows. Any good stories/ bad stories/ don't fill in that hole because it's really a drain hole warning type stories?

Also, is there some kind of glue/caulk to put around the frame and/or window when reassembling everything or does it all snap together neat and clean?

THANKS!
I plan on doing the same thing soon, but I am going to cheat. I will take out my old windshield, and do the dirty work underneath. However, I am going to order a new windshield, and have it installed so I don't mess it up. I once saw a pro put in a windshield, start to finish including taking out the old, in less that 1/2 hour. Plus if he breaks it, he gets a new one. Ask Colin what he did with the seal, I will have to figure out the same.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

splittythe66
I'm New!

Post by splittythe66 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Makes sense. I could prep the bus and hand it over. I just have to wait for the weather to break. Got 6" of snow yesterday. No garage. I'm heading to the chicago area next week. Any good parts guys for splitty's where I might find a windshield?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 pm

splittythe66 wrote:Makes sense. I could prep the bus and hand it over. I just have to wait for the weather to break. Got 6" of snow yesterday. No garage. I'm heading to the chicago area next week. Any good parts guys for splitty's where I might find a windshield?
New? Try Mid-America Motorworks.
# 381-535 $199.00 US both pieces.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:13 am

Isn't the splitty windshield 2 flat pieces? No curves at all in the glass? Might be cheaper to just have some glass cut for it. Automotive glass shops can cut laminated glass easily. Thats what the DPW did whenever the windows in the equipment got broken.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

splittythe66
I'm New!

Post by splittythe66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:05 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Isn't the splitty windshield 2 flat pieces? No curves at all in the glass? Might be cheaper to just have some glass cut for it. Automotive glass shops can cut laminated glass easily.
Yeah. They're flat. I've been talking to a local auto glass shop. He says he can cut the glass and install for about $100 (not including rust touch ups). I hope he has the tools to cut the curves well, but it seem like a good price...?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:30 am

They cut 'em close, then they use a wet belt sander to sneak up on the corners.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:03 pm

There's nothing easier in the world than installing Split Bus windshields. I would never pay someone to install a piece of flat glass. The windshield in the Basy Window is another story, but I've done those also. I also did the corner windows on my 15 window by myself and didn't break them. Have the glass cut and install them yourself. It'll literally take you longer to put the seal on the glass than to install them. I didn't have any help when I did my Split Bus glass and didn't break one.