Body Work Classes

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Body Work Classes

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 am

Has anyone ever taken a bodywork class in order to learn how to make repairs on their VW? I checked around at my local community college but those classes are based on getting a degree. I should check with the cc a little deeper, maybe they could work something out for me. Just curious if anyone has taken a class in order to restore/repair an old car and if so, any ideas were I should look. Something more casual then community college would be nice.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:32 am

Talk to the insructer/teacher, I know a few people who fixed their own cars that way. At the moment, here in Seattle, a lot of people are trying get in because they need new careers! This could make it difficult for "hobby" type work.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:46 am

Hiya belle,

You might want to take a second look at your community college. Most community colleges offer two distinct curriculums. One leads to some sort of a degree. This is the sort of class most of us think of when we think "college". The second curriculum is one that really puts the community in community college. Adult education classes usually offered for no credit and at reduced rates. Be sure to check and see if your local CC is offering adult ed classes.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:52 am

Ok, I'll see what they have in terms of adult ed classes. Thanks so much everyone.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 pm

At least you have a local school that offers a program even to get a degree....

our local CC doesn't have any programs at all for body work unfortunately, as this is EXACTLY what ive been wanting to do. I want to learn that process so bad ive considered just taking the basic welding class to get that part out of the way and then try and learn the rest online...
1979 California Transporter

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 am

I'll be taking the Hambone course this summer, with supplemental reading at IAC.

Great tuition: beer.

I'll post when the job gets started so's anyone can join us. I plan on doing some fill welding. dent removal, and rust abatement.

I might even try to match the finish paint. :geek:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:30 pm

I can't give body work advice, I'm an admitted hack. New England rust and all, they rot from the inside out. I just slow it down.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.