Beetle window regulator

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Beetle window regulator

Post by hambone » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:20 am

When rolling up the driver's side window, about 3/4 up the crank "strips out", makes a ratcheting sound and the window won't roll up..
I'm afraid it's the mechanism where the crank screws up to.
Please tell me I don't have to pull the glass, the vent window, and the whole gizmo. Please.
This Beetle is giving me opportunities to fix all sorts of crap I've never dealt with before, one thing after another..........
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Beetle window regulator

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:07 pm

hambone wrote:When rolling up the driver's side window, about 3/4 up the crank "strips out", makes a ratcheting sound and the window won't roll up..
I'm afraid it's the mechanism where the crank screws up to.
Please tell me I don't have to pull the glass, the vent window, and the whole gizmo. Please.
This Beetle is giving me opportunities to fix all sorts of crap I've never dealt with before, one thing after another..........
You do not have to do the whole gizmo. You will have to have to remove 4 10mm bolts and fool around inside the door panel area, but is degree of difficulty is not bad.
Sorry about all theblablablablalbajalbblaabhlah blah bla all night on you poor working people who need a good night's sleep, but the beer was good and the company grand..
Colin :cherry:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:57 am

Ok I'll git to it. We washed and waxed the Beetle yesterday, finally put on the repainted rear wheels (2 tone how klassy). The window does work just failingly. Is it a matter of readjustment and lubrication or does the splined cranky-assembly need to be replaced?

Sorry he says! Hey I consider you a good friend and it's a shame I can't listen to your wise-babble more often in person, so once a year will have to do.
The skeeters ate me alive tho...
P.S. Do you know you were literally reading Erin's mind all night? It frrreaked her right out yessir. She would think "PB&J" and then you'd bring it up immediately. :flower:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:29 pm

hambone wrote: We washed and waxed the Beetle yesterday, finally put on the repainted rear wheels (2 tone how klassy). The window does work just failingly. Is it a matter of readjustment and lubrication or does the splined cranky-assembly need to be replaced?
I think it will need to be replaced. But I don't know.
hambone wrote: Sorry he says!
Dang right, sorry. I can feel the babbleblab fever overtake me, and I get anxious.

"haha sorry, well, I better be going, OK, well, it was great hanging out with you all, thanks for the pizza, haha it was good, um say, that's a great garden, this is enough snap peas to keep me going all summer, hahaha, thanks for the beer, that was sure good beer, I should drink more often, ahaha, just kidding, anyways, take care, it is a blessing to have such a lovely family, OK, better go, busy day tomorrow, hahaha, wow, is that you and your kid in that picture? You look so young there, wait, not that you look old now, hahaha, is this the door? Easy there, yeah, I'll find the steps, it's a short porch, hahahWHOA, wow! guess I'm already on the sidewalk. . . . ."
Wait until I give you my Christmas Newsletter Spoof. . . . :cyclopsani:
hambone wrote: P.S. Do you know you were literally reading Erin's mind all night? It frrreaked her right out yessir. She would think "PB&J" and then you'd bring it up immediately. :flower:
SpooKAY!
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles