Underbody

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Underbody

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm going to get under the orange monster in the morning clean off the goo. It also seems like the paint or underbody scratches off with a fingernail, sooooo... I'm going to take it off with a wire brush and whatever it takes, 'cause in spots I got rust. Any suggestions, I got por-15 and some rust converter, and some naval jelly. Plus some rustoleum spray paint. I figure anything is better than nothing, but right now I am going to clean, scrap then rust convert, with a final coat of por 15....Sound sane?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:39 pm

I like using a very low viscosity spray rust-converter with compressed air nozzle assist to really hit the crevasses which Por 15 hasn't a prayer of reaching. I then use semi-gloss black followed by paintable undercoat followed by more paint to make a smoother surface that dries quicker. I touch up once a year and have a good thick undercoat.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:10 pm

By paintable undercoat, do you mean the rubberized spray on stuff I see at the auto stores?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:35 pm

chitwnvw wrote:By paintable undercoat, do you mean the rubberized spray on stuff I see at the auto stores?
Yes, sometimes it is a subtle difference on the can, paintable vs non-paintable rubberized undercoat.
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:32 pm

It is subtle, 'cause it never says unpaintable. Some do thought say paintable. Of course, for a couple buck more per can you can get the professional grade, not sure what that offers, but...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:32 am

chitwnvw wrote:It is subtle, 'cause it never says unpaintable. Some do thought say paintable. Of course, for a couple buck more per can you can get the professional grade, not sure what that offers, but...
Soooo, driving your bus? How's that engine with the nice timeserts?
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:25 am

Sigh. Got one more hurdle to clear, before I get that reward. I knew buying a bus would be a learning process, but I thought the learning curve would be more gradual.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:27 pm

I touched up the missing chunks of undercoating with POR15. Once it gets dirty you don't even see the difference.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:48 pm

painted mine with the sticky chainsaw bar oil ! Call me nuts :bounce:

Bill

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:32 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:painted mine with the sticky chainsaw bar oil ! Call me nuts :bounce:

Bill
I've read about guys spraying their undersides with bar oil, guess it contains phosphoric acid and the oil makes it stick. Do it twice a year they say.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:59 pm

OK guys what is bar oil? is it better than Marvel Mystery or WD40. Ive been chipping away lumpy rust spots on '69 and will start on '64 soon to buy time till full on body work and paint. Been using rust convertor stuff that turns black and then shooting places with high build primer. Is this a waste of time and money? :scratch:

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:53 am

Elwood keep doing what you're doing. Primer doesn't seal that well though. Hit all primed areas with paint. The either Colins method or bar oil.
To answer your question, bar oil is used to lube the chain and the bar it travels around on, on a chain saw. It's an oil that flows and is sticky much like honey.

Bill

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:07 am

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:19 am

In relation to the bar oil, I've heard tell of folks using linseed oil in the same fashion.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:40 am

I also used the POR15 on the area behind the rear wheels, subject to many rocks. Only a couple chips after 3 years, most of it is still intact.