Body/Hardware Overview

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Body/Hardware Overview

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:21 am

This is an easily overlooked aspect of life with your Volkswagen. Who thinks to lubricate the engine hatch latch on your scarily rusted VW when the oil light is flickering, the rattle in the engine is worrisome and the headlamps go out when you turn on the wipers? Every VW, no matter the current condition, deserves a careful car-wide lubrication.

One of the great qualities of your air-cooled Volkswagen is the craftsmanship inherent in every corner of the car, the door hinges, the ventilation controls, the window winders, the door latches, the mirrors, the sliding door on the later buses, lock cylinders, and the sunroofs! for you lucky sunroof owners.

Problems with body hardware can often be traced to neglect, primarily that of lubrication. For those of you with owner's manuals, how many of you have followed the lubrication procedures in the suggested maintenance interval sections?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Body/Hardware Overview

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Eight years two months and thirteen days later, I am here to reply to myself in this graveyard of a website.

Parts are drying up! Keep yours happy! Eight years two months and thirteen days later, I have visited about 500 Volkswagens all across the land, and have made customers happy with newly functional sliding doors and door latches and window winders with nothing more than a can of oil.

Seriously, parts are drying up. Keep yours happy.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Body/Hardware Overview

Post by Jivermo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am

This. This is a very important post. Thank you.