Asbestos heater cuffs.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Asbestos heater cuffs.

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 am

While messing with the heater cable replacement, we pulled off the black accordian tube in the rear, exposing the asbestos cuff. I read some where that sealing it up with high temp silicone was a good way to keep it isolated, and reinstall it. Or try to find the orange Vanagon cuffs. I saw a chemical analysis that the thing is 65% asbestos. How are people dealing with this? Seems the orange substitute is difficult to source. Appears the way to handle the stuff is to submerge under water, so the dust does not become airborne. Suggestions are welcome.

zabo
Old School!

Re: Asbestos heater cuffs.

Post by zabo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm

yes
60 beetle
78 bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:48 pm

yes
. Zabo

Yes?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 am
While messing with the heater cable replacement, we pulled off the black accordian tube in the rear, exposing the asbestos cuff. I read some where that sealing it up with high temp silicone was a good way to keep it isolated, and reinstall it. Or try to find the orange Vanagon cuffs. I saw a chemical analysis that the thing is 65% asbestos. How are people dealing with this? Seems the orange substitute is difficult to source. Appears the way to handle the stuff is to submerge under water, so the dust does not become airborne. Suggestions are welcome.

People always seal up the wrong stuff to the wrong parts and they increase their exposure risk.

a) thin split metal sleeve - goes on the heater exchanger end or the heat duct on the body of the car (with grease! make it clean and smooth!)
b) asbestos triple-offset split ring (to key to itself) keep inside (c)
c) plastic accordian
d) clamp (don't even snug it down, just light)

Whenever you remove the black plastic accordian, you need to grab that inner split sleeve and slide a/b/c off the heat exchanger end as a unit. You can actually rotate the plastic accordian into itself clockwise 1/2-1 turn to help compress it. When installing it, you can rotate the ends counter-clockwise to lengthen it.

Remember when I made a Diet Coke can shim in the National Forest outside of Sacramento just before SG Kent?
Yeah, so anyway, asbestos is still ensconsed in the accordian ducts, ends slip off the exchangers nicely and everything stays on securely:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles