HVLP Turbine Kits

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

HVLP Turbine Kits

Post by DurocShark » Tue May 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Since I have a 64 Bug setting there in craptacular primer (that's surface rusting) I knew I was going to need something to lay down some real primer and paint. SharkDaughter decided she loved a color that happens to be a THREE stage paint job (base, pearl, clear). Ugh.

I've gotten good results spraying rustoleum out of my $39 Horrible Freight HVLP. In fact I still have a new one in the package! (I bought a bunch when HF discontinued the model). But I didn't want to do cheap enamel on this car. It deserves a quality job. Especially if I was going to be spending hundreds just on the paint. But aside from doing wheels and such with that cheap HVLP, I haven't sprayed anything since high school.

There was no way I was going to buy a $1000+ compressor (that takes up a TON of space), all the filters and crap to go on it, then a gun on top of that. I was looking at Fuji's turbine units because of how small they are and they get good reviews. Then I saw a TP Tools booth at a car show and they were doing some kick-arse work with their rig. So I bought one with the standard gravity gun with a 1.0 tip, a big primer gun with a 1.8 tip, and a 1.0 detail suction gun. $699 for the whole kit. The bonus is that they're made in the US. (I have no idea if the turbine is US or not. I'm not tearing it open to find out.)

Today I started running some reducer through them to get a feel for how they handled, using the adjustments, etc.

I am in love.

Easy to use, easy to adjust, excellent balance (except for the awkward detail gun), and overall wonderful. And without the big heavy regulator hanging off the butt end of the gun, they're way lighter and easier to move with. I found it very easy to keep the nozzle aligned with the bent cardboard I was using to practice on. Wonderfully even spray pattern too.

The only hard part is remembering to buy the slooooooooooooow reducer. The air out of this thing is very warm. The paints I picked up (quarts to test with) I forgot that and got medium reducer. It's not cold enough for medium with a turbine sprayer. That's why I'm burning it with gun testing. ;)

Seriously, if you don't want to or can't deal with a compressor driven rig, these start at like $700. And Fujis start even lower. Plus, I can use it to put heavier finishes on my woodworking. BONUS!

(I'm just excited about this. I have nothing to do with TP Tools other than being a customer. Don't mind me. And if anybody wants my HF gun, let me know. It's yours for a beer.)

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Re: HVLP Turbine Kits

Post by DurocShark » Wed May 31, 2017 5:32 am

Forgot a pic:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:17 am

Looks pretty good, can't WAIT to see the three-stage car when done.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:54 am

Heh, same here. Probably gonna suck terribly. hehehehe

I also picked up an airbrush, so I am going to try painting a model kit bug with that same paint to see how it comes out. Obviously the flake in the pearl coat will be way bigger relative to the size of the car, but should be interesting either way.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:44 am

DurocShark wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:54 am
Heh, same here. Probably gonna suck terribly. hehehehe

I also picked up an airbrush, so I am going to try painting a model kit bug with that same paint to see how it comes out. Obviously the flake in the pearl coat will be way bigger relative to the size of the car, but should be interesting either way.

Maybe you will start a new trend, the "vermiculite look".

Colin

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:47 am

Bwahahahahaha

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:56 am

good option i wasn't aware of. thanks!
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Doesn't look too bad:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:43 am

DurocShark wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:47 pm
Doesn't look too bad:

You painted over your fender welting and running boards? The cowl seems to be missing.
Colin :blackeye:
(looks good)

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:41 am

I got the clear on it last night. 5 coats. This is REALLY hard to photograph to show the blue pearl. Grrrrrr

My hands are nowhere near steady enough to paint the welting or the belt trim.

The nice thing about this color, UreKem Galaxy Blue 3 stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmzN__UgFIE

is that it's VERY close to the original off white the bug shipped with. Aside from the blue pearl of course.