Dyeing Polyester Curtains

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Dyeing Polyester Curtains

Post by Curtp07 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:41 pm

I had a set of original curtains. Until RITs new dye (fabric store new nothing about it), the standard dye wouldn't do synthetics. Bought a lobster pot from Goodwill for $3 and cooked the curtains for 30 mins. Indirectly rinsed and let dry.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Re: Dyeing Polyester Curtains

Post by Curtp07 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Depending upon condition it may take another cook session...I still have a few more to go.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:26 pm

I can't make heads nor tails of what the results really are; these look sort of like something one might find washed up on the beach down here.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:56 pm

I tried another pic. Hope it's better...it's about the color. They're wet and wrinkly from the cooking and my photography loft is booked with the Victoria's Secret model shoot right now so the curtains will have to wait for their session.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:25 am

Those look good! Much better than the faded tatters rolling around my floorboards...

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 am

Curtp07 wrote:I tried another pic. Hope it's better...it's about the color. They're wet and wrinkly from the cooking and my photography loft is booked with the Victoria's Secret model shoot right now so the curtains will have to wait for their sessssion.
Wait, you've got a posse of Victoria's Secret models swanning about your place and you're teasing us with photos of wrinkled curtains? :scratch:
So might we hope to see a VW Westfalia featured in the next VS catalogue? :bounce: My wife will be wondering about my sudden interest in their product line. She'll think I'm going through another mid-life crisis, at least until she sees the westy, then she'll know for sure.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Ok here's the Victorias Secret model...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Curtp07 wrote:Ok here's the Victorias Secret model...

Poor Volkswagens . . . the indignities they endure.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:02 am

From seeing your curtains, I realize mine must be original, since they are the same, dark brown rough fabric. I was going to ditch them, but I guess I'll clean them and reinstall.