Bottom trim/ gasket '78 Westy pop top.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Bottom trim/ gasket '78 Westy pop top.

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:05 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the black push on trim piece that goes on the bottom edge of the Fiberglas top? Mine appeared to be a 2 piece deal, with a round rubber gasket glued to it, that hugged the metal roof of the bus. It had separated, but looks to be glued more towards the bottom of the push on piece. I need to re glue mine and want to position it accurately. Are the BD replacements one or two piece, and are they of decent quality?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bottom trim/ gasket '78 Westy pop top.

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:38 am

Jivermo wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the black push on trim piece that goes on the bottom edge of the Fiberglas top? Mine appeared to be a 2 piece deal, with a round rubber gasket glued to it, that hugged the metal roof of the bus. It had separated, but looks to be glued more towards the bottom of the push on piece. I need to re glue mine and want to position it accurately. Are the BD replacements one or two piece, and are they of decent quality?
I can photograph mine, but I want to know specifically if you are speaking of the lower edge perimeter gasket, or the one that cross the top at the luggage rack interface?
Colin
(p.s. I have been told that the B.D. gasket is single piece/ no round rubber)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 am

It's the one that runs around the perimeter of the lower fiberglas edge of the pop top. When I pulled my top, mine was in 2 pieces; the "u" channel, and the round flexible tube had completely separated from the channel. It was flopping around, and I was only able to figure it had been attached by a glue line on both sections. I reglued mine, but am not pleased with how it looks. One from BD arrives tomorrow, so I'll report on how that is. Here is a cross section, which no one seems to be able to furnish if you attempt to buy one online. Is this how yours looks? Is it one piece? What was stock? Mine looks to have been quite good quality.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Jivermo wrote: perimeter
Is this how yours looks?
Yep. Looks intact and all of one extrusion. It really should be reproduced exactly. I have seen the simple flap replacements. I do not know if they work as well.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:36 pm

...granted mine was the Vanagon version, I was impressed with the quality of the Go Westy pop-top seal:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details. ... us&id=3519
...link is for just the pop top bottom seal (no luggage rack or luggage rack/pop top transition) for a 74-79 Westy.

When I did mine...I did the whole kit: pop-top, luggage rack and transition. It was pretty easy...although the cement for the transition was a bit messy and I would advise to measure and trim the transition seal very carefully... :blackeye:

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Got the BD product today. It is complete, the 2 sections glued or heat welded together for the entire length. It seems to be of pretty good quality.