Engine lid support

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jalabert
I'm New!

Engine lid support

Post by jalabert » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Morning all,

My engine lid is unsupported! The fasteners that hold the rollers on have decided they've had enough of life in the dark and made their way somewhere else. I can't find these on any of the normal suppliers parts diagrams - can anyone point me to where I should be looking or tell me what they are if they're something standard?

At the other end of the arm - where it fastens to the lid itself - I've just used a screw and a washer tightened to a point where it didn't bind. I suspect this isn't OG...what should this end look like?

When I restored the bus (a few years ago) this was one of the bits that I sort of cobbled together, which is probably come back to bite me. Some of the parts supplier diagrams show a sliding block - I can't remember one of these - was it all models (mine's a '73, if that helps.)

Lastly, is there a decent diagram showing how the thing should be put together? Everything I can find in the manuals or online looks like it was taken from across the other side of the street.

Cheers,

Simon

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Engine lid support

Post by asiab3 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Good morning! Good morning? What part of the globe are you on? (Put it in your profile so we know! :) )

The bolt that holds the spring thing onto the apron is an oddly thick-shouldered M8 bolt that I have not seen anywhere else. A standard M8 bolt with a sleeve around the threads would work. Here mine is slightly unscrewed so you can see the shoulder:

Here are some (rather nappy) "E-Clips" that hold the roller bearings on.

You can get them at any auto parts store in a multi-pack of sizes.

Last night I worked on a '68 pickup whose rollers were so rusted that I had to cross-hatch sand the posts and spin sandpaper on the inside of the bearings then lubricate with grease and a drop of oil.

Here is how they should work when fully operational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTk5Mj45fi4

Note that the sharp prongs of the springs that want to grab your sleeves and skin should be INSIDE the engine compartment towards the battery, not out creating a safety hazard.

Have fun!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks Robbie - I'm in NZ (isn't everywhere on my time zone?!)

Those e-clips look like they'll do the job - what was on there originally was one of the round, starred ones (if that makes sense) - but those'll do nicely. I answered my own question about the nylon block on the VW heritage site - for anyone looking in the future they're a '74 on item. And thanks for the tip about which way round it goes...!

Cheers,

Simon

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Interesting to see this post. When Colin stopped by, he lifted my engine lid on my 70' bus. He was nice in how he pointed out that my rollers were not rolling and the rod was on backwards. I always thought the darn lid was a bit tough to open. I went over to Colin's bus, opened his lid and it was smooth as silk and super easy to open.

The day after Colin left, I had it all apart to lube and put it together right. It made a big difference.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Simon,

The E-Clips were factory on the early (quality!) buses. The wavy washer under my bolt is too, apparently; I wasn't sure about it.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Thanks gents,

Oddly, it was reading the report of Colin's visit with you, Bill, that got me determined to do something about this and a couple of other daft issues that have been nagging me too long...

Cheers,

Simon

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:06 pm

jalabert wrote:Thanks gents,

Oddly, it was reading the report of Colin's visit with you, Bill, that got me determined to do something about this and a couple of other daft issues that have been nagging me too long...

Cheers,

Simon
Get on it. Just because you New Zelunders are upside down doesn't mean your deck lids just fall open.
ColinDaftIssues
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Colin needs a "real" road trip to New Zealand for the all time epic Itinerant tour. How cool would that be? Make some stops, put the word out in Australia to see if he can line up some visits..

That I'd like to see!
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:50 am

Smooth as a baby's bottom...only issue I've run into is that I've had to mount the arm the wrong way round because otherwise the end fouls the rearside of the bracket. I'm sure when Colin makes it down this way he'll slap me around for it then before showing me how childishly simple it is..!

Cheers gents...

Simon

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:05 pm

jalabert wrote: I've had to mount the arm the wrong way round because otherwise the end fouls the rearside of the bracket.
Photo, please. I cannot visualize how the end fouls the rearside of the bracket.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:59 pm

All right, I'll own up. I had the arm mounted so it ran between the rollers...then I looked at the pictures you and Robbie posted and had a "wait...it goes that way?" moment...

Now working perfectly and mounted properly!

Cheers,

Simon