sliding door yaw

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

sliding door yaw

Post by dingo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:36 pm

sliding door refresh procedure has been mostly successful, however i am still left with a wide vertical gap at top left (facing door from outside)..the gap runs from mid to top. If one braces oneself and push very hard on the middle bump near the rear latch, one can force the door into perfect closure
I tried adjusting the piece that bolts to the doorframe,(rear one) but it does not solve the problem. Also from the inside one can see that the claw has a pretty good grab of the...uh...piece-with-halfmoon-head
so whats m,y next move ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: sliding door yaw

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 am

dingo wrote:sliding door refresh procedure has been mostly successful, however i am still left with a wide vertical gap at top left (facing door from outside)..the gap runs from mid to top. If one braces oneself and push very hard on the middle bump near the rear latch, one can force the door into perfect closure
I tried adjusting the piece that bolts to the doorframe,(rear one) but it does not solve the problem. Also from the inside one can see that the claw has a pretty good grab of the...uh...piece-with-halfmoon-head
so whats m,y next move ?
Let's tighten up our descriptions a bit. From what I can glean, the rear of the door is sticking out at window elevation?
Check sliding door seal for proper seating in the upper rear corner. Sometimes old glue is overlaid with new glue, and the seal is sticking out too far. There is no adjustment possible of the rear profile of the door. You adjust the striker plate (half moon head) to make sure the rear of the sliding door panel is 1/2mm out from the rear side panel in the closed position.

If you have an issue with the gap, i.e. spacing, along the door, there are some available adjustments, Your ues of the word "yaw" made me wonder if that is your concern?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles